A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: adding to a round rug to make a rectangle  (Read 842 times)
Tags for this thread: doily , round_rug , rug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pkcrochet
« on: February 22, 2012 02:15:28 PM »

Hi all,  I am new and have been enjoying reading everyone's post and seeing the pics of your projects.

I have crocheted a rug using 4 strands of bulky and super bulky yarn.  The size is approx. 5 ft. across.  I wanted the round part to be the center for a rectangle rug, but
am having problems figuring out how to add the rectangle.  I wanted the finished rug to be about 80 inches x 68 inches.  Any ideas on how to proceed from here?  Here is a link to a pic of the rug, if I can make it work Smiley
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2806929049132&set=a.2666599580983.2116877.1135853908&type=3&theater
I would appreciate any help.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012 02:28:34 PM by pkcrochet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012 04:14:42 PM »

I would look at granny square patterns. First count the number of stitches in your round ,mark with pins or what ever so that it is divided into fourths. That will be your corners of the rectangle. Start midway from one corner, sc evenly until 3 stitches before the first marked stitch. work hdc in next 2 stitches, dc in next, 3 dc ch 2 3 dc all in next stitch, dc next stitch, hdc next 2 stitches, corner made. sc to next three stitches before marked stitch and make corner, repeat 2 more times.. Check when you have two corners made, you might have to change pattern to 3 triple crochet ch 2 3 triple crochet to make the corners correct. Then I would tie off and work several rows on two opposite sides to give it a rectangle shape. Then go back to crocheting all the way around.
 I hope this helps/ I have only done this once many years ago. I would strongly suggest you leave at least 8 inches of tails to work in. I work it in under and even trough the strands. So much beautiful work would break your heart if it unraveled after a few washings. Yes that has happened to me also! I also put a small drop of dritz thread end glue working it in with a tooth pick on the beginning tail of all my squares. Maybe over kill but after having an afghan that had taken me six months to complete unravel from the centers......well you see what I mean. I hope this helps a little. I waited before posting, hoping someone smarter than me would have an answer for you. I really like what you have completed so far
I also found a few interesting links
http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/rectangle-grannies.htm
    you could ask Rachel at this blog above for tips also
http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/crochpttns.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pkcrochet
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012 07:31:47 AM »

I so much appreciate your help!  I will give this a try and see if I can work it out.
Hopefully, I can find enough time to finally get this finished.  Thank you so, so much. Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Perfect Holiday Hair In Seconds: Top Bun
Upgrade Your Makeup From Office To Holiday Party In 4 Easy Steps
Tips for Applying Makeup
Putting On Makeup Was A Lot More Complicated In The 1930s
2-Minute Beauty Tutorial: Looking Radiant
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...