A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,651
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Comic book character costume idea?  (Read 4103 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dragonmaid
« on: June 22, 2005 05:25:51 PM »

I wanted to go as a super heroine/villainess this year for Halloween , but don't have the body for a bodysuit or leotard. Maybe I can go as a non-superhero character? But I wanto go as someone people will reconize, and it would be hard to go as Mary Jane Watson or  Gwen Stacey unless I had a boyfriend to go as spiderman (which I currently lack). Can anyone help me? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When life gives you lemons...throw them at people!"
"When life gives you lemons, hey, free lemons!"
"When life gives you lemon, make sour lemonade"
SentinelFluffy

Two-Ton Killing Machine... with a pretty bow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005 05:46:40 PM »

Weeeell, if you were open to a comic book character not a "heroine" per se, why not check out the Sandman books? Death has a lot of relatively do-able costumes, espeically in the Death 'manga'. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fort_loop
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005 06:06:20 PM »

OMG, I wanted to be a comic book heroine last year (no wait, the year before that-- last year I was post-partum).  I had the hardest time finding ideas.  There just aren't many comic book heroines.  The best idea I had was Rogue from x-men.  I could actually pull that one off this year, since I just got white stripes at the front of my hair.  Is your hair short or long?  I found that was a big issue for me, because my hair was short. 

But, Rogue is not really all that recognizable.

When my hair was really short, I was Trinity from the Matrix.  Had a blast putting that one together.  In 1999, I was Lara Croft (before she was cool).  That was my favorite costume ever.  Guys kept coming up to me saying things like, "I'm your biggest fan, I've played every level of your games."  More than once, I had to be like, "Dude, I'm not who you think I am."

I'd love to help.  Maybe give me a better idea of what we're working with... hair color, length, height, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonmaid
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005 06:58:35 PM »

I have really short brown hair. I feel stupid for not thinking of this before, but your Rogue idea is very do-able. When Rogue was introduced in Avengers Anual #10 as a vilainess (back in the early '80s) she felt uncomfortable with her powers, so she had a loose fitting costume! AND she had super short brown hair with a white streak on either side. All I need is white hair mascarra, really bad eye shadow and.. anyone know a sewing pattern for something like her outfit she wears? or wear I can find/make inexpensive gloves like the ones she has?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011 12:28:47 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fort_loop
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005 08:24:09 PM »

Yeah, that's it!  My husband dug up some pics like that for me too.  I'll keep my eyes open for a pattern.  Those gloves shouldn't be hard to make/adapt-- I'll bet there is something similar in the big pattern companies' costume catalogs.

Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fort_loop
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005 08:31:58 PM »

Another site with some variations of the Rogue look on it:
http://members.fortunecity.com/dm_bishop2/marvel/rogue.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fort_loop
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005 08:43:13 PM »

More still!

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq=10&fldAuto=56&page=10

Number 3 looks very doable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonmaid
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005 10:09:35 AM »

I work at a comic book store. If I am working on Halloween, it would be funny for me and the guys I work with to dress as a character! I am not sure if the guys I work with or my boss would go for it, but it might be worth a try. Thank you so much, fort_loop! Those pics are awesome referance matereal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dragonmaid
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005 05:09:36 PM »

I went to the thrift store today, and decided to look for some gloves. But, instead I found a very April O'Neil-esque yellow polyester blazer. April O'Neil is from the 80's show, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I just have one question: does rit dye work on wind pants? I couldn't find yellow ones, but I found white. Now, to find a red head wig!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ubergirlie
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005 09:37:39 AM »

Another idea, just in case, is Jubilee. It's a very easy and cute costume.

I went as Jubilee to work one Halloween and most of the account execs had no idea who I was but all of the IT and tech guys freaked out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 7/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 8/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 35/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 4/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 5/35
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...