A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raise a Foodie Baby - How to Make & Store Baby Food  (Read 1147 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 24, 2012 05:35:22 AM »

I knew way before my son Jude was even born that I wanted to make my own baby food. My mother always did and she swore it was easier and cheaper than buying jarred food. As usual, she was right. Making Jude's food has proven to be far less expensive than buying it and with a little planning, it takes very little time. It easily fits into our hectic schedule (being a mama, running an online shop, and working part time makes for a busy chica!). I love that I can control everything that goes into his food and it is so much fun to introduce him to new things. So far, Jude loves almost everything! Avocado was not a big hit, strangely enough, but once he can have hot sauce and cilantro, I bet that'll change.

Of course there are a hundred products on the market for baby food prep and storage, and many are wicked expensive. You don't need to run out and buy a Baby Bullet or a Brezza to make baby food, though. They claim to streamline the process, but really, it's not all that difficult of a process anyway. All you need is:
- a pot
- a blender (an immersion blender is awesome!)
- and an ice cube tray.

Really. A few good resources don't hurt. Try the Wholesome Baby Food site for great ideas for recipes, info on food allergies, and tips for introducing foods. I also love the book Super Baby Food. It also has tons of recipes, as well as lots of money saving tips, but it's been instrumental in helping me figure out portion sizes and feeding schedules for Jude. The sample menu plans are awesome. I highly recommend this book!

I try to make as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I can, but some are just far too time consuming (no way will I be shelling peas!) or are not in season. Those I buy in the frozen organic section. Spinach, peas, green beans, mangoes and peaches are all ready in literally minutes. Fresh vegetables obviously need more prep and cook time. Take a free hour and do a big batch or two at once!

Basic Baby Puree
Ingredients:
This method works well for fresh:
Sweet potatoes
Winter squash
Carrots
Apples
Pears
Plums
Peaches

Preparation:
Peel, chop into small pieces, and add to a pot with some water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until fork tender. Blend in the pot, or transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until pureed. I don't bother straining as enough water helps make any fruit or veggie smooth. Transfer puree to ice cube trays (they fit about 2 Tbls. per cube) and freeze. Transfer cubes to a ziploc bag labeled with the date and food type.

That's it! Done and done. Once you get into the swing of it, the real fun begins. Adding spices, making interesting flavor combos, and changing up the texture makes for interesting meal times. Currently Jude is really digging baked apples with cinnamon, oatmeal, and yogurt for breakfast. I don't blame him, it's fricking delicious!

So seasoned mamas, what do you like to cook for you baby?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
jennique
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012 06:43:59 AM »

So when you want to serve some of your frozen food do you let it thaw over night in the refrigerator?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny
Banga

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012 06:53:41 AM »

I use the defrost setting on my microwave to defrost as I need it. It takes about a minute that way. You can certainly transfer frozen cubes to the fridge to thaw in advance, but I'm not that organized Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012 12:37:19 PM »

I was lucky enough to take care of my grandson when his mother returned to work. So I took care of him from the age of 3 months til he was a year old when he went into  "baby" care with other kids. Since I was with him from 6am til around 4pm I'd usually cook his veggies during the day maybe once or twice a week. Just cooked them in water or soup til soft then let them cool. Then I'd put the vegetables into little 1 1\2 portion jars with lids and put them in the freezer. Cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, rice, broccoli, etc. What ever was in season. Bought fresh from the market. Meats "Momma" would cook once a week or two when he started meats and same thing. Cooled then put into the freezer. Just before I'd go home, I'd decide what I want to fix him for lunch the next day and just put it into the fridge. Fruits we get mostly straight from the fields so I'd usually just mash them at meal time. Bananas, mango's, bought apples. (He wasn't  too crazy about avocados either.)Breakfast would usually be prepared tahina  (diluted with some water and lemon juice. A great source of iron) along with the rest of his meal. If I forgot to take out food from the freezer then I'd just nuke it for about half a minute, then mash. Luckily he is a very patient little boy. (not like my kids.lol).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Banga

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012 08:29:13 AM »

Your daughter is so lucky to have you! I wish my mom lived closer so she could watch Jude a few days a week Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012 08:17:01 AM »

Thank you so much for saying so. It is nice to hear. Actually it's my DIL and I've learned to keep a healthy distance. They know where I am. I'd love to come help but after our Purim I'm going across the country to housesit and babysit my grandcat. Yep cat. (But my other son's.lol)
Now'll be my turn to eat frozen food.lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set Up a Face Painting Booth
Trick Out Your Model Train Layout
How to Make a Plastic Bowl Tambourine
How to Make a Popsicle Stick Harmonica
How to Customize a T-Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...