A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garden 2012  (Read 7633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012 09:48:32 AM »

That's great, Myrdda! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012 01:35:43 PM »

Myrdda, I'm in Prince George's County....but I suspect that our climate is totally different, being on the other end of the continent! And I think it was a different Prince George as well... Smiley

Some of the seedlings were starting to grow aggressively, so they went into the ground today. We are still way behind on precip, but it should rain significantly starting on Monday, so hopefully they will start to perk up. The seeds that I have planted directly in the beds are not doing much yet.

The temporary tarp-rain catcher, works ok for a lighter rain. If it rains too much, the water pools on the tarp and doesn't go into the basin. I may get some 4x4's and make a permanent setup, but that means getting a real water barrel first.

Incriminating hoofprints next to the rudbeckia.

Blackberries! Probably I should cut these off and get the canes to concentrate on growing instead.

The raspberry canes, still need to work on trellising.

Woad plants (eaten by bugs) and japanese indigo (eaten by deer). I think the indigo will recover, not sure what made so many holes in the woad.

I planted these raised beds. The straw-covered one has the madder starts, the other one has leeks. I still have an extra tray of leek seedlings, but I'm not sure how many of the starts will survive their transplantation. I have two of the plastic bowls, this one will have some taro and parrotsfeather after I drive up to Lilypons. I'm also thinking of planting a gourd vine near the bowl and tree stumps, maybe it would be more aggressive than the poison ivy (there is a bad infestation in the stump area).

Little weld seedlings. I have high hopes for these, I saw some dried weld at MDSW last weekend and I think is was $80 for a bag!

The little Victoria rhubarb plant lost all its leaves, but is now sending up a new shoot. Yay!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurend1982
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012 08:53:37 PM »

Gorgeous Prince George's. I had a great potted garden with the help of a an avid farmer friend. We live right next to Greenbelt Nation Park and the deer ate well last spring. I was heart broken. Your's are fairing well considering the whack weather we've had.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012 05:42:55 AM »

I think the bunnies got an entire bed of soybeans at our place.  Love your rain catcher, so clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2012 05:44:44 AM »

laurend1982, this is in the plot area off of Gardenway next to the pedestrian overpass. There is a fence around the plots, but it is too low on one side and the deer can jump right over it. I'm hoping for a good soaker Mon-Tues, or the seedlings will be in trouble...

Oh my, MW! I've seen a bunch of small bunnies but I don't think they have been munching....yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012 12:35:45 PM »

We got almost 4 inches of rain (10 cm) on Friday night, plus around an inch earlier in the week. There was standing water all over the place in my plot, it is still soaking in today. Also lots of slugs.

I have finished all the major projects now, having put in the ends of the blackberry trellis last week and a three-sided deer fence using MW's suggestion. The deer can still jump over the regular fence (about 5-6 feet tall) on the other side, but I can't do anything about that.

There is still poison ivy everywhere. I keep pulling out wads and finding more. Last weekend I got it all over my arm, so itchy. One of the other new gardeners chose a sunny plot with huge brambles and two ~40 foot trees that are absolutely covered in poison ivy, so I can take a small solace that this plot isn't quite that bad...

photos:

black princess taro and parrotsfeather in one of the bowls.  Parrotsfeather is very aggressive and will climb out of the bowl later.

I prefer to direct seed squash, which means that mine are pathetic looking while everyone else has larger plants for the first few weeks. But I've had better long term success with direct seeding. This is a pink banana squash, I planted another one down in a weedy area where it will have lots of room to roam.

The deer trampled over my earlier planting of zucchini and yellow squash so I had to reseed.

The weld is beginning to settle in but something is munching on it (an insect)

japanese indigo

I probably planted the woad too close together. My plan is to collect seed from these plants and then to plant a whole row of woad next year.

the dyer's chamomile has been slow to start

elecampane did a bit too well from seed

The madder is starting to spread in its raised bed (closest in the photo). The leeks are still looking pathetic but I think they will start to grow better soon. In the dug row,  the Victoria rhubarb is doing well but the middle rhubarb has lost all its leaves. I couldn't find any artichoke plants so this row is all rhubarb and squash. I bought a packet of artichoke seeds and will start them in the winter (you need to start super early for artichokes, usually before seeds are available).

The messier end with more shade. I planted mint on the shady end of each row to keep the weeds at bay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012 12:37:41 PM »

Oh, and there has been a darling tiny toad hopping around on several occasions. I bought some dried gourds at the farmers market and plan to make a toad house out of one of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012 01:27:16 PM »

Toad! We have a yearly influx of teeny weeny tiny little minuscule toads, they are so cute! Except for the ones that get squashed on the road, those ones make me a little sad.
The little man is interested in natural dying but we didn't plant anything specifically for that, we're going to experiment with everything and see how things turn out. He's fascinated with the idea that green is a difficult colour to attain from green leaves and grass, he's really looking forward to seeing what colours happen instead.
We got in some peppers, tomatoes, garlic, flax, quinoa, peas, nasturtiums, sunflowers, a variety of herbs and one bed of squash, beans and corn. We've had a great staggering of sun and rain to our advantage but then we had an escapee goat romp through the raised beds so... I guess I'll see how things are going when I visit again this Wed. Fingers are crossed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2012 01:28:54 PM »

Here's this morning's harvest...  peas, carrots, a leek, late asparagus and some shallots.  We also pulled up our garlic beds today, the heads will hang in the shade for a few weeks. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2012 01:32:31 PM »

Oooh, that's fabulous, MW!  Your peas look great!  What kind are they?

I've had maybe a dozen and a half pea pods (though not all at once - ha!), as well as lots of lettuce, which my rabbits enjoy greatly. 

Gotta love fresh-picked veggies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2 Steps to a Gorgeous Painted Makeup Brush Holder
How to Make Zombie Edible Brains
Meet the Maniac Pumpkin Carvers and Their Cool Pumpkins
The Making of the Wired Design Logo at TechShop, San Francisco
DIY Gourd Candles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...