A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weird Spinning Questions  (Read 2258 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ADDCrafting
« on: February 20, 2012 04:53:14 PM »

Hello spinners!

So, I have a janky drop spindle made from a dowel and some old CDs. I've used it a few times for spinning plarn (yarn made from plastic bags). I really liked the result, but I hated the time it took. I often thought I'd do more with plarn if I had a spinning wheel, but it's hard to explain to people that I'd probably only use the spinning wheel for plarn or maybe plying yarns together, and it's even harder for me to usually understand their recommendations.

Now that I've discovered the idea of rescuing yarn from ugly sweaters, I'm seeing more and more the benefit of some sort of spinning wheel. So many store-bought sweaters are made with super thin yarn, if it's even plied at all, and it would be beneficial to be able to ply some of it together to make a more reasonable thickness of yarn to work with. However, I know this would take FOREVER to do on my little drop spindle.

What kind of spinning wheel would work for this type of spinning? I don't think I'd need anything fancy. It would be even better if there was some way I could make one instead of shelling out a bunch of cash for one.

And, as a last question, do you think it would be weird if I showed up to a spinning class with the intention of learning to do what I want to do instead of the usual spinning?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012 04:53:07 PM »

Have you thought of making another, more sturdy spindle, and hooking it up to a power drill?  This would work best with a bottom whorl spindle.  Think along the lines of a mother marion kick spindle, only powered.  http://www.heavenlyhandspinning.com/e-commerce-solutions-catalog2.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADDCrafting
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012 10:53:59 PM »

Have you thought of making another, more sturdy spindle, and hooking it up to a power drill?  This would work best with a bottom whorl spindle.  Think along the lines of a mother marion kick spindle, only powered.  http://www.heavenlyhandspinning.com/e-commerce-solutions-catalog2.html

It's funny you suggest that because my fiancee's been insisting on something with a power drill. I had to look up the kick spindle. I wasn't really sure how they work, but I kind of like them. Of course, I've been looking at all the spinning wheels with spools lately, so the possibility of spools that come off the spindle seem very appealing. Is there some way to put a sort of spool on a spindle? Maybe one with a removable top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADDCrafting
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012 01:22:52 AM »

So in my google hunt for instructions on making a kick spindle, I found this:

Upcycled Kick Spindle 3 by spinningwitchery, on Flickr

The white part on the spindle is a pvc sleeve that's held in place by a small nail or pin. It looks like an awesome answer to the question about a spool on a spindle! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012 06:28:57 AM »

There you go!  And you totally rig it up so that you could stick a power drill on the end, if you should want. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012 11:02:00 PM »

Don't forget the great ole PVC wheel,
http://www.pjsadventures.com/DragonsKeep/personal/PVCWheel.html

Or follow in the footsteps of my personal hero shopdogsam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9KANDl5GV0
He made an electrical spinning wheel, you can't help but love him. If you can get past the heavy mountain accent, he's a damn good practical engineer.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012 11:04:37 PM by Blacksmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012 09:35:32 AM »

i loved that video!  You can tell he's doing what he loves.  I'd like to see that machine in action.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012 12:25:35 PM »

Well, I don't know that there is much chance of that, see he has a tendency to wander across projects and wander away from them, listening to him talk is like riding a bicycle with ducks for wheels, it doesn't make much sense unless you built it. He does; however, have a couple excellent recipes on there.

Wait a min, he did finish it, no demo though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp1mWIgkB3M&feature=plcp&context=C321b547UDOEgsToPDskLwQ9FzzGd9seAD3N8QyG1w
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012 12:33:25 PM by Blacksmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
WMA
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012 06:40:24 PM »

Before I got my wheel I used CD spindles and my husband asked why I didn't just use a power drill to spin. I asked how he meant I should use it, so he stuck my (bottom whorl) spindle into the drill, pulled the trigger and I started spinning. After a couple minutes he asked me if I realized that he was not going to stand there and hold the drill every time I wanted to spin, lol. So I propped the drill up on my hiking boot...on its side with the sole towards the drill so I could rest my foot on the side of the boot...and I pushed the trigger with my toe or the ball of my foot. It is a variable speed drill so it was very smooth to slow down or speed up as needed and it was cordless too! Also, it freed my hands up so I could try corespinning and some other techniques that seemed difficult to try with a spindle. Although I would caution those with spindles who might like to try it with a drill: the drill will leave indentations in the shaft of the spindle so don't use a spindle you love! Dowel/CD spindles are perfect because you won't cry over a dowel getting pinched in the drill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ADDCrafting
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012 11:21:14 PM »

I never thought of putting it in where the drill bit goes! That's ingenious! I will definitely have to try that....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Collard Greens
How to make a Ham
How to make Stuffed Chicken
How to make Fried Potatoes
How to make Pork Ribs in a Dutch Oven
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...