A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dog Muzzle  (Read 3493 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LiritKiraly
« on: February 20, 2012 02:05:58 PM »

I hate muzzles, really hate them... buuutttt.... a muzzle calms and quietens my nearly 2yr old Jack Russell safely and effectively without bribing him with biscuits despite whatever may be going on around him. He REALLY lives up to his reputation of being a yappy dog! Most of the time I can tolerate it, but there are times that just a little bit of quiet is soooo appreciated by me.
 Anyhow, Jack's (and yes, a very unoriginal name :s) stiff nylon muzzle rubs on the bridge of his snout. It doesnt break the skin but I imagine it cant be comfy. He can still drink with it on, but only just and the next muzzle up is too big. We tried a mesh muzzle, but again, its ill fitting. So I crocheted him one, it is after all only ever used as a 'reminder' to be quiet and never to restrain him and for the most part, he only has to see it and he'll relax a bit (I think this must be because he is getting older now). I like to think of this as a pacifier for him, its soft, stretchy he can drink with it on, in fact he can pretty much lick just as far with it on as without! He can open his jaw a little wider with this one than a nylon one, yet it still stays in contact with him.

I love making things for him, from coats and toys to this Smiley I used no pattern, just mimicked the shape of the nylon muzzle. I much prefer it, Jack is still disliking... but still, I think its a good compromise for now, (and is a much nicer colour) and will no doubt spare a headache or two with far less guilt on my part Smiley

Here it looks as though I'm pinning him down, but I assure you I'm not, he's sulking because he's wearing it and I'm ruffling behind his ear with my finger Smiley

C+C always welcome, please 'scuse the phone camera pics :s
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♪♫♪ We never are what we intend or invent ♫♪
Longelegantlegs

Don't touch my nuts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012 03:01:36 PM »

What a nice thing to do for your dog...We had a Jack Russel when I was a kid, and I understand about the barking.
That looks very soft and comforting, I like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Momof2!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012 03:41:04 PM »

Great idea! He is so cute! It looks very soft and comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silkymist
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012 05:19:28 PM »

I love it! Maybe this is what my doxie needs. Her barking drives me crazy, especially when she knows who it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~SilkyMist~
Before giving someone a piece of mind be sure you have enough to spare!
LiritKiraly
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012 06:16:39 PM »

Thanks to you all Cheesy I was a bit dubious about posting a muzzle, I'm certain there are many people against them and I didnt want to offend anyone, but your comments are lovely Cheesy

I love it! Maybe this is what my doxie needs. Her barking drives me crazy, especially when she knows who it is.

This is my problem with Jack, that and the fact he likes to jump up at people when he greets them. This is fine for the household, but many visitors dont like it (understandably) and he settles (mostly sulks and wants cuddles) when he is wearing a muzzle, so it works a treat and we use it less and less now tending to just show it to him maybe 70% of the time. He does still try to paw it off his nose, and he'll probably succeed in time given its stretchy and I only have ties at the back (that I loop round his collar) but the time it takes him to calm enough to sit and paw it off should chill him out a bit, thats if he has it on long enough in the first place Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♪♫♪ We never are what we intend or invent ♫♪
annigirl22
Kickin Ass since '89

ninja! or something like that...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012 08:59:09 PM »

omygoodness that is sooo much better than store bought muzzles! I'm in awe a bit that you did that, and that it works so well for you! [I'm a bit allergic to dogs,] but honestly, muzzles aren't something I'd be super into either. like you said a bit uncomfy. anyhoo.
wonderful job! it's fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.
-Richard Bach

feel free to stalk me:
http://pinterest.com/annigirl22/
http://wists.com/annigirl22

I <3 personal swaps, PM me! Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Custom Contact Sheets in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Use the Slideshow Mode in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Use the Batch Renaming Function in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Add Copyright Information in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Use Filter Pane in Adobe Bridge CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...