A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Review: Husqvarna Viking Topaz 20  (Read 10796 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2012 01:23:51 PM »

Brand: Husqvarna/Viking

Model: Topaz 20

Year: 2011

Cost: about $1990 (though it was on sale for 30% off, so the non-sale price was probably around $3000)  I also got some extras, so the final total was $2400 or thereabouts.

How long have you had the machine? Since November, 2011

Is it a basic sewing machine, serger, or embroidery machine? It's an embroidery and sewing machine.

What are your favorite features?  How easy it is to change the feet is one of my favorites.  I know that's silly to be excited about, but I love it.  They just pop in and out.  I also love the ton of different stitches it does.  There's a bicycle and a car and a little trailer!  OH and changing the bobbin is super easy, as is winding the bobbin!

What are some of the unique features it has?  It has an LCD (I think) display, and depending on the setting (different weights of material and different stitches), it tells you which foot to use, as well as which needle to use.  It has a USB, and came with some software for embroidery (though not the super fancy kind that lets you design or convert pictures), so that is really nice.  

One of the best things, however, is that it also came with an Owner's Class.  You take your machine and go to the store (I bought mine at Joann's - not sure if other places do this as well) and they show you how to use it.  This helped me IMMENSELY, even if I am still figuring things out.

How well does it run?  If everything is threaded correctly, it runs really well.  I've broken two needles, though, but I'm pretty sure both were through user error.

Has it ever broken or needed maintenance you couldn't do yourself?  I've only had it a few months, but no.

What are your least favorite features? The controls/buttons for the embroidery part are not intuitive for me.  Each time I try to embroider something, I need to have the instruction book open, and even then I just press buttons until I figure it out.  I've embroidered three or four times now, and the fact that I'm still staring at it blankly at times is really intimidating.  HOWEVER, I think that'll ease as I figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Would you recommend this machine to a friend?  If my friend knows something about machine embroidery, absolutely!  It's a great machine, I got a great deal, and when used properly, runs really well.

If my friend is new to machine embroidery, I'd suggest trying a cheaper machine first off.  My machine was an impulse buy because of the sale, something I've never done on that scale before.  As I said above, the buttons aren't intuitive for me, so working it all is a bit overwhelming.  I expect that to ease as I use it more.  For instance, I just got over the 'How do I center two lines of text since I can program them in at the same time' worry (which kept me from using it to make a wedding gift for a couple months - whoops) with the realization that it will show you on the fabric the edges of what you're going to embroider.  (You can also buy a computer program that will allow that, but I didn't want to spend any more.)

It is a great sewing machine, though!  There are some buttons that confuse me/I have to look up for that, too, but it's easier to figure out.  

The woman at the HV Gallery at Joann said this was an 'entry level' machine.  And that's true - for Husqvarna/Viking.  If you've never used one before, I would go for a cheaper one until you get comfortable with what the machines can do.  If, however, you can get a good deal on one and are just starting out ... we can learn together!

I give the machine an overall rating of B+/A-, but that's mostly because of user error and nervousness!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012 01:24:26 PM by kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012 01:34:06 PM »

Wow, kaz, sounds like a terrific machine!  I've heard that Husqvarna makes a really quality machine, so I bet it's going to last you a long time.  I'd love to see some of the embroidery projects you've done with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
kaz814
Cooking Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012 01:48:36 PM »

Thanks so much, Aislynn!  It really is!  I blame all my issues on myself. 

Of course, I just did some embroidery and ... I wrapped it up (along with the swap packages I'm sending out) without taking pictures. Sad   I plan on making myself some hand towels for the bathroom, though, so I'll be sure to take pictures of those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnruiUkimi
O Fortuna: Thou art a bitch

Pony Tony and Pony Steve :3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012 11:44:00 PM »

If you ever need some pointers, I used to teach those Owners Classes myself at the local HV store. Wink I might actually be going back, actually...something to do on the weekends. ::laughs:: Your machine reminds me of the ol'Platinum series, just far more awesome then those.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012 06:55:57 AM »

Thanks so much, AnruiUkimi!  I might definitely take you up on that!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyme2
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014 12:44:14 PM »

I've had my Topaz 20 for 5 months now and am still discovering all the amazing things it can do! I went through all the tutorials on Sewingmastery.com and am now revved up to try as many new things as I can! I love, love, love this machine!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Geek Themed Desserts
How to Make Superfood Popsicles
How to Make Chocolate-Covered Bacon
How to Make Bacon Bourbon Blondies
How to Make Nutella Stuffed Brioche
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...