A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,588
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Absolutely Purrrrrfect... 1966 Julie Newmar Catwoman  (Read 2741 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BenaeQuee
Sewing Machine

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2012 12:17:39 PM »

This is probably the pride and joy of my costume wardrobe.  I made everything for it except the belt, boots, and gun.  I made this back in Oct 2009 for a Wizard World Big Apple Comic Con.  Julie Newmar was going to be there as a guest and there was also going to be a replica Batmobile on display.  I knew I needed something to wear, after prodding from my friends, I chose Catwoman.  My friend btw make an excellent Batgirl and Batman - they wouldn't leave me alone lol. 
I had never made a body suit before, so this was new territory for me.  I read all I could on drafting patterns for them and working with a 2 way stretch.  The fabric I used was a stretch lurex/lame just like the original.  It was only a 2 way stretch and only 36" wide (and quite pricey at $19/yd) - I needed 5-6 yards for this costume.  The legs fabric stretches up and down, allowing me to bend my knees and sit.  The chest is on the bias and the back is also up and down.  The sleeves are bias cut as well to allow ease of movement.  I also have long legs, so there is a seam right below my knees since the fabric was not long enough to go from my natural waist to ankle (41"). 
I must have taken about 20+ measurements to make sure this fit like a glove.  I made a mock-up using a cheap two way stretch poplin I had in my scrap stash, with a few tweaks, it fit purrrrfectly if you will ;-) .  I have to say, cutting into that expensive fabric scared me at first, and I've been sewing for 20 years lol.  All the inside edges are bound in a foldover elastic, as the raw seams (even after over-casting) still have the metal fibers poking and scratching up my skin.  The elastic covered up all the raw edges and made it comfortable to wear... or at least as comfortable as a stretchy metal body suit can be lol.
The highlight of wearing this costume was having Julie Newmar come to ME for photos.  I was posing by the batmobile and was told to wait as someone else wanted a picture.  I turned around to ask my husband if my mask was straight (since he was my handler) and I saw him looking past me with this awe-struck look.  I turned around and there she was *swoon*.  She is still as beautiful and poised as ever... and was still taller than me while I was wearing 4" heels and she in ballet flats lol.  We had several shots together with her own camera and then my hubby took some for me.  Even after two years, I'm still grinning like a fool hehe.
http://imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/movietvartcostumes/1966catwoman

http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/starwars/wizardworldbigapplecon2009/websize/IMG_6623.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/starwars/wizardworldbigapplecon2009/websize/IMG_6588.JPG
I *heart* Julie Newmar

I also made the claws and necklace ;-)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013 02:15:24 PM by meleriffic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for geek chic goodies!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BenaeQuee
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012 12:30:37 PM »

Wow, just wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Harvey

Here's to inappropriate!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012 12:58:01 PM »

Great costume. I can't believe she still has that fantastic shape. I'd still be grinning too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012 03:54:23 PM »

Fabulous job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012 04:18:04 PM »

Freakin awesome! Great work on the measurements and practicing because it worked out perfectly. Everything is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012 04:42:00 PM »

You look terrific in that costume. Kudos to you for having the one and only recognize your talent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smashu

punk rock meets saturday morning cartoons..

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012 03:30:33 PM »

Amazing! '66 Batgirl is on my ten year costume bucket list so with all my research I know how hard it would have been to get this looking so excellent. GREAT JOB Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

In progress:   ♥   50+ Projects 2013(Cool
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About the Sapper Water Kettle
What Keeps David Small Up At Night
Understanding Function Follow Form in Architecture
How to Design a House 1 - The Brief
Understanding Form Follows Function in Architecture
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...