A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question About Tags  (Read 927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ADDCrafting
« on: February 19, 2012 11:14:53 PM »

This is a store-related question, but it's most directly related to sewing, so I thought this would be the best place to ask.

I sell pacifier clips, and I wanted to put tags in them so I ended up making some cheaply by using my typewriter and some scrap muslin. Now, I absolutely love this method and am happy with the results. They're cute and vintage-esque. However, I'm trying to streamline my brand image from start to finish, and the tags I've made this way just don't go with the image of young fun I'm trying to get across. (I sell mostly cat toys and pacifier clips these days, and was hoping to expand in that same direction.)

I think I've heard of fabric that you can buy especially for printing on, but I'm not sure how well it works, or if it even works in laser printers. (I don't have regular access to an inkjet printer.) Or maybe there's some company where I can buy labels. I'm not sure what the best option is. I'd like to have tags that have a font at least close to the one I use on my website and my business cards. (It's a free Google font called Architects Daughter.) Iron on seems like it would be awesome, but I'm not opposed to sew in.

What do you use for tags in your work? Are there printable iron on tag options? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012 08:41:52 PM »

Since you have a laser printer, you can easily print your own tags (easier than inkjet and without buying the expensive special paper!). The ink in laser printers in pretty permanent - When I've tried this, I noticed it'll come out with vigorous washing, but not in normal use or light washing. You would need some cotton fabric and freezer paper. Cut both to the size of a normal sheet of paper and iron them together with the shiny side of the paper touching the fabric till the paper sticks (I like to cut the fabric slightly larger than the paper, iron, then cut the fabric down to size). Then just run the paper/fabric sandwich through your printer put in so it'll print on the fabric and not the paper. The heat it takes to make the freezer paper sticky is higher than a printer gets, so you shouldn't have issues there. Though I don't know about your particular printer, I've run it through my laser with no problems at all. Peel the paper off after it's printed and iron the fabric printout to heat set it hotter than the printer.
If you want to go the iron-on route, I'm pretty sure you can get iron on paper for a laser printer then cut it to the size of tags after printing (before ironing), or you can print onto fabric like I described above then use some stitch witchery (or similar) to stick the fabric tag to whatever you're tagging.
Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ADDCrafting
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012 11:19:01 AM »

Turns out the reason why they don't sell special printable fabric for laser printers is because the printable fabric will ruin a laser printer. :/

I'm too scared to try the make it myself with wax paper version, because we only have one printer. If I broke it with wax, I'd have a very angry fiancee.

And since the more I thought about it, the more I wanted something iron-on, I went ahead and bought the special fabric from the store. It's kind of expensive, but the tags will be very small, so the price should balance out a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
AshtonagoL
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012 06:39:12 PM »

I print on T-shirt transfer paper and iron onto ribbon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Keep Your Hair Healthy
How to Keep Your Hair Looking Good Between Washes
How to Lighten Your Hair Naturally
How to Make Your Own All Natural Hair Conditioner
How to Prevent Hair Breakage
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...