A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Saw it, Needed it, Made it  (Read 1596 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LiritKiraly
« on: February 18, 2012 04:21:14 PM »

I saw something like this (on facebook I think) and decided I must must must have one! I didnt follow a pattern, but lets face it, this wasnt hard to make.... I even sewed a lining for it! (can you believe??!) My sewing skills leave a lot to be desired, but you cant see the lining by just seeing the bag anyhow. I even added pockets, one ideal for my blackberry (which is about a half inch deeper than the phone), and the other a little wider (for rummaging in comfort) Smiley The colour is somewhere between the two pictures, and I used patons smoothie yarn, which has a kinda super fine metallic looking thread woven in with the acrylic.

I've decided while I'm sat here that it needs a clasp, so I get a magnetic snap for it I think, and my bug with it is that I didnt sew the strap behind the lining, I think it would look better finished if I had.

As always C&C welcome Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

♪♫♪ We never are what we intend or invent ♫♪
whatthepuck
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012 04:38:08 PM »

Cute. I like the pattern you used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Swaps:
Mini 13 DoH
Bookmark
Sept ATC
OTT October Holidays

Anyone interested in a Hockey Swap.
Jay3fer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012 08:40:38 PM »

Cute!  The lining looks neat enough in the pic.  The colour looks very different in the 2 pics, though, at least on my monitor.  Is the crocheted exterior light or dark blue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012 04:49:46 AM »

How in the world do you line a crochet bag? My sister gave me one to line for her and I cannot figure out how to do that. Your bag is similar. I love the neatness of your crochet. Totally jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
LiritKiraly
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012 08:38:22 AM »

Cute!  The lining looks neat enough in the pic.  The colour looks very different in the 2 pics, though, at least on my monitor.  Is the crocheted exterior light or dark blue?

Thanks Cheesy I'm not disappointed with my effort on the lining, esp since I just sorta winged it  and have never made anything more complex than a cushion cover (many moons ago) But I am glad its hidden away! Smiley

the colour is between the two, its patons smoothie dk in teal http://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/patons-smoothie-dk-yarn-1058-teal-2975-p.asp I choose it because it looks very much like cotton, but is acrylic (so better for a bag thats going to get knocked about and not so heartbreaking at only 2.99 a ball!)

How in the world do you line a crochet bag? My sister gave me one to line for her and I cannot figure out how to do that. Your bag is similar. I love the neatness of your crochet. Totally jealous.

it was fairly easy, I used a folded piece of fabric and cut it just a teeny bit wider than the bag when flat (there will be a card insert in the bottom later to make it look better) and about an inch taller, then I added the pockets Smiley I sewed it straight up the sides about an inch in, and at the corners sewed across them to give it a boxy bottom (for the card (that I'll cover in fabric and velcro in, so I can take it out to wash the bag) and this made it perfect to slide into the crochet bag, where I pinned the top in the right place to mark the hem. Then I just sewed all the way around the top of the bag with the pinned lining still in to instantly hem and secure at the same time Smiley My crochet is quite tight, so you don't at all see the raw edges of the outside of the lining through the crochet, but I'd imagine bias tape would solve that possible problem if the edges were visible Smiley

Thanks michelleandbean, I didnt use a pattern, its just granny stripe worked in rounds. And the straps were rows of each -ch, sc, *3dc in st, sk2st* , sc, sc, *dc3tog, ch2*, sc, and ss-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♪♫♪ We never are what we intend or invent ♫♪
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012 09:02:33 AM »

Thank you so much for the response. I will bookmark this so I will be able to fix sis's bag. And the velcro to wash, great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
S. E. Cupp Talks About Losing Our Religion
Jennifer Vanderbes Talks About Strangers at the Feast
The Hacienda Book Trailer
George Melloan Talks About The Great Money Binge
Paige Toon Talks About Chasing Daisy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...