A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,738
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Wrap and Roll" method for balanced core-spun yarns  (Read 1721 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LaughingLark
« on: February 18, 2012 04:16:26 PM »

I just learned of this method this afternoon. It is called "Wrap and Roll". The originator is Sarah Anderson, and there was an article about it in Spin Off Magazine in Spring 2008. It looks brilliant! Have you ever tried it? I would love any tips, insights you may have. Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrTrzWK7Ek

More  wrap and roll corespinning here. These short videos are from Sarah Anderson's article, I believe. I could not find the written part of the article anywhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzvERiWLzew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3r9gw8Bj1c

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012 11:04:34 AM »

That looks basically like super coils, only the core is on a drop spindle that appears to be defying gravity.   I wonder how that part works?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012 03:10:22 PM »

Belladune, the spindle holds the core yarn, and lets the excess twist escape, at least in theory. Grin I tried making a core spun (not super coil) yarn today, and it seemed to help. It was also a bit of a pain because the spindle I used was heavy and has a longish shaft. I might make some lighter and shorter spindles and try again. It was a little fiddly. Not terrible, but I think I want a smaller spindle with a bigger hook.

You wind the core yarn onto the high whorl spindle, then when you are core-spinning, the core yarn runs across your index finger with the spindle hanging freely below. You don't grip the core at all; just let it slip over your index finger while you draft on the fiber. When the spindle is approaching the maiden, let it dangle for a few seconds to let the extra twist escape, then let loose more core yarn so the spindle is touching the floor again. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. I had to fool with my spindle more often because it has a smallish hook and a long shaft. I think I will make a basic spindle out out of a pencil with a cup hook screwed into the eraser part, and a cardboard whorl with a few notches on the outside. I think with practice and the right tools, this could go a lot faster. I produced the least over-twisted core-spun I have made so far with this method. I don't know if it's any more effective than spinning the core yarn with opposite twist before beginning to core spin, but it's interesting and fun to try.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012 03:11:59 PM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012 04:31:31 PM »

So the core doesn't just slide off the spindle then?  You have to move it everytime you come to the hook?  Looks like its worth a try, as it drives me nuts that the core always gets over twisted and makes the yarn unbalanced.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012 06:54:05 PM »

Yes, you have to unhook it to release more of the core yarn. This method requires a high whorl spindle with a hook.
These two blogs mention wrap and roll.
http://www.collagespace.com/studionotes/archives/97
http://knittyblog.com/?p=1064

I'm hoping more people will try it and we can compare notes. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012 07:00:09 PM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012 06:10:30 AM »

I wont be able to try it any time too soon.  I've got to get my homework done before I spin for fun!  But it's now on my list of techniques to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Perfect Summer Tan ... No Sun Required
Beauty Product Must Haves for Summer
Beauty Dare: Gold Eyebrows
Must Have Beauty Essentials for Spring
5 Sneaky Reasons You Get Acne
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...