A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Geocaching swag  (Read 6196 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubbledragon
« on: June 22, 2005 02:18:22 PM »

Heyo.  I have no idea where to post this, and this seemed like the most reasonable forum.

I'm terribly obsessed with geocaching, and I've noticed that some cachers have a 'signature item' that they leave in every cache.  Well, I can't afford to buy 250 squished pennies or printed wooden nickels at a time, and I don't get out enough that I'd really use them all.  So I've gone to the idea of shrinky dinks.  Or maybe just something else.  Really, they're just cheap tokens like someone else mentioned people exchange at renfaires or girl scout camp.

I've carved stamps for all of us that we use to stamp the log book with.  Aside from that, here are a few of my ideas.  If you were hiking in the woods, and picked up an ammo can full of junk, what of the following would you most like?  Hee.

Shrinky dink Tangram set with printed puzzles
Marble Magnets
Folded fabric flower pins/hair pins
Shrinky dink token/keychain with stamped 'signature'
Shrinky dink token printed with a picture and stamped on the back (But what kind of images?  My dog?!  Hee)
Microscope slide ornaments
Etched shot glasses (I can do this pretty cheaply)
((Something else?!))

Anything else?
As far as regular trade items goes, I've got a random assortment of stuff: collapsible dog bowls and tennis balls, ponchos, super glue, batteries, LAF bracelets, cards, bubbles, mini travel games, yadda yadda.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onthinice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005 08:07:55 AM »

I have also wondered what I could make that would interest geocachers.  Out of your suggestions, I would take (in no particular order) the microscope slide ornaments, folded fabric flower pins, and shrinky dink tokens.  I chose these because I have not made anything like them yet.  I think marble magnets would go over well, also.

I have not done a lot of geocaching because it looks like I suck at it.  The last time I went out, I did not find any of the three caches I was looking for.  I probably need a lot more practice  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005 11:24:36 AM »

HA I thought I was the only one that couldn't figure out my GPS or find treasure.  I did find some green army men laying under the tree once, only b/c my coworker was with me... but we couldn't find the log book. 

On another note.. I think marble magnets are the coolest thing to find... or etched shotglasses...b/c both are practical. 

I have also wondered what I could make that would interest geocachers.  Out of your suggestions, I would take (in no particular order) the microscope slide ornaments, folded fabric flower pins, and shrinky dink tokens.  I chose these because I have not made anything like them yet.  I think marble magnets would go over well, also.

I have not done a lot of geocaching because it looks like I suck at it.  The last time I went out, I did not find any of the three caches I was looking for.  I probably need a lot more practice  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
onthinice
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005 08:41:48 PM »

I keep telling myself that I should get out there and practice.  Maybe this can give me an excuse to make marble magnets or play with shrinky dinks, so I can make tokens...just in case I happen to actually find a cache.   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
ithnkuno
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005 12:32:10 PM »

I've never heard this term before. I always thought it was letterboxing, and I've always wanted to do it. Where do you get the info, (I know www.letterboxing.org)
And I would think a small pin of some type would be cool, Stamp the Shrinky dink with the stamp to the box in it. Then make it into a pin or tie a cord to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.monkeyandme.etsy.com
http://www.myspace.com/ithnkuno
"every child is born an artist, the challenge is how to remain an artist when they grow up." picasso
onthinice
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005 09:32:57 PM »

I learned about it from  http://www.geocaching.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
craftmommieof2
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005 01:59:33 PM »

Okay so I had no idea what geocaching was until I read this post and went to check out www.geocaching.com. It sounded really cool, but then I thought to myself "no one in my small crappy town is doing this i know". so I looked up some based on my are code and to my surprise there were tons listed right around where I live. Now to get a GPS....hmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiehaynes
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006 10:03:19 AM »

I know this thread hasn't been posted on in a while, but I am interested in hiding a "handmade only" cache, where the only trades should be handmade items.  Do you think anyone would be interested in this?  I'm in GA, and goecaching is pretty big here.  Thanks for the ideas on stuff to leave!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geminikitty
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006 04:59:52 AM »

Interesting ideas, I'm also in geocaching, but it's not as common in Australia as the US.

Hubby and I go caching about once a month at least and it would be nice to find something nice in a cache rather than cache trash. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiehaynes
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006 02:06:00 PM »

I'm downright obsessive about what I leave in a cache...I'm known for being sort of a "cache fairy" who ALWAYS trades up.  Some of the neatest handmade things I've seen have been stickers, so I made some that say "GEO...It's about the journey" on them & I leave them in the caches.  I hope to place that handmade cache soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand Photoshop Layers
Prolines Vol 2 sports Ticket customization
How to Adjust Sports Photos Using Curves
How to Customize Your Template Design
How to Create a Quick Poster Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...