A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where oh where to buy yarn online?  (Read 1700 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkcatflower
« on: February 18, 2012 12:24:49 PM »

Hi, I posted about this in the New Zealand board, but that seems to get little to no traffic.  So I'm posting it here in the hopes of getting some help!

I've learned amigurumi from tutorials on the net, and I used a little kit (included yarn, hook, pattern, eyes etc).  It turned out pretty cute, so I wanted to make more.  All the stuff I looked at online basically said to use 10ply cheapo (acrylic) yarn, since it's not as fluffy and also it doesn't stretch out, so you can't see the stuffing.

I've looked in places, and called places too, but 10ply yarn seems to be the red-headed stepchild of NZ yarn?  I can't seem to find much, and if I do it's fancy wool.  All I want is a selection of brightly coloured, cheap 10 ply yarn. 

So if I can't find any in NZ, does anyone know any good sites to order from, that ship internationally?

Thanks heaps and heaps in advance guys!

p.s Here is the amigurumi:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=404109.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012 02:41:53 PM »

I called herrschners.com and the rep told me they do ship to New Zealand. My favorite is the Red Heart worsted for ami and toys. Herrschners will also update you with clearance and sale emails. Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012 02:50:03 PM »

redheart.com ships to Austrialia, NZ is just a short hop I'd contact them and ask
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkcatflower
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012 03:23:02 PM »

Thank you so much for your help!  That is so incredibly nice of you to even ring them for me!!

I am checking out both herrschners and redheart.  Want to hear a funny joke?  I put 5 balls of yarn in my cart at herrschners.com which came to a total of 41.95.  The shipping to New Zealand they want to charge me?  Only $70.72!! Whaaaaaaaat???
I will have to email RedHeart and ask if they can ship to NZ, cos I can't be paying almost double my order in shipping..

I'll see how I go.  I might even contact herrschners and see if that shipping is right... it just seems insane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012 07:38:45 PM »

OMG That shipping has to be a joke! WOW
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chpetunia
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012 03:32:36 PM »

Hello,
I checked on ebay.  I live in USA, so it must be ebay US.  Looked for worsted weight (which is the 10-ply you referenced), free shipping, international.

Found several listings for yarn in many fibers and weights.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherry Massacre
Where geek and crochet meet

Kitty's and crochet make the world go round

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012 12:22:15 PM »

I'm in the UK and 10ply (worsted, aran) is hard to come by here. I use DK (8ply) for my amigurumi with a 4mm hook and have no issues with stuffing showing through.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkcatflower
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012 02:03:23 PM »

Thanks for the tip on Ebay, will have to check that out!
Cherry Masscare- I think it must be a UK/Aussie/NZ thing that we don't have 10ply or something.  For now I've done as you do and bought an 8 ply Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xyphir
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012 11:05:08 PM »

I notice that this was posted a little while ago, but how close are you to an *UGH* (whispers) spotlight store?
Also, I find that I can get 10ply from K-Mart occasionally. And this year The Warehouse Stationary was selling it - but only by the 300g ball (they're weird)
I don't know where in NZ you are, but there is an OK yarn-store down in Papakura (right beside Farmers) and there is still half a store in the Pakuranga Plaza (outside Foodtown) - but that store really sux. If you are in Howick, there is an emporium beside the Sally Army Family Store (Can't remember name) which has a range of wool (not a good range, but still a range) and they tend to have the chunkier knits, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph a Landscape on a Grand Scale
How to Work with Formal Imagery
How to Photograph a Parking Lot
How to Create an Abstract Self Portrait
The Importance of a Sprit Leveled Tripod
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...