A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where can I get 10ply yarn for amigurumi?  (Read 1147 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkcatflower
« on: February 17, 2012 09:49:35 PM »

Hi,
I've learned amigurumi from the net, and I used a little kit (included yarn, hook, pattern, eyes etc) I bought from spotlight.  It turned out pretty cute, so I wanted to make more.  All the stuff I looked at online basically said to use 10ply cheapo (acrylic) yarn, since it's not as fluffy and also it doesn't stretch out, so you can't see the stuffing.

I've looked in places, and called places too, but 10ply yarn seems to be the red-headed stepchild of NZ yarn?  I can't seem to find much, and if I do it's fancy wool.  All I want is a selection of brightly coloured, cheap 10 ply yarn.  Does ANYONE know where I can find some?

And if I really can't find any in NZ, does anyone know any good sites to order from?

Thanks heaps and heaps in advance guys!

p.s Here is the amigurumi:   http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=404109.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
brookem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012 04:37:28 AM »

Hi fellow Kiwi!

First of all, I know acrylic is cheap n' cheerful but spare a thought for real wool- it can be worth the extra cost, has a lil bit of extra spring/give (makes crocheting easier) and feels so much nicer in your hands... anyway...

Where abouts in NZ are you? There are a couple of major companies in NZ (like Knit World, they have branches all over) and a number of companies online (such as Skienz, who organized all those knitted penguin jackets after the Rena spill). If you're in Auckland, like I am, here's a few places I would recommend:

- Knit World in Henderson: they have a huge range, knowledgable staff. Look out for John Q Creative and Charity brand (these are wool, but are cheap and come in a range of solid colours)
- Masco Wool, downtown Westfield: they usually have a few bargain bins at the front of the store, you can get 50g balls for a few bucks.
- The Warehouse: seems to stock acrylic yarns exclusively
- Looksharp Mart, by the Whitcoulls downtown: cheap, acrylic wool and a range of other notions. This place is an absolute warren and is definitely worth a visit
- Mishi Yarns, Onehunga: if/when you want something a bit more luxurious  Grin

10 ply wool doesn't tend to be a common weight for acrylic yarn in my experience but you may be able to achieve the desired gauge/ weight by crocheting with two strands of yarn.

I hope this helps  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Relish Cooking Show Dublin Georgia
The Relish Cooking Show Kinston Highlights
A Visit to Chef and the Farmer Restaurant
The North Carolina Relish Expo
Sioux City Jam Preserves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...