A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-Shirt Blanket!....turned down comforter shell?  (Read 3189 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RenDuH

Let's go ask Mr. Beardsley. MISTER BEARDSLEEYY!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2012 07:56:24 PM »

First off, I REALLY hope this is in the right category--if not, I'm sorry!  I seriously spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out which category fit it best though, haha.

Anyhow.
My boyfriend had an excessive amount of t-shirts (3 drawers full!!) that he wasn't wearing for various reasons (holes, stains, too small, just plain worn out, etc.), so I offered to take them and make them into a blanket for him.  He happily agreed, and was completely fine with it....although he did get a little wary when he saw me start to chop up some of his favorite tees, lol.

All I was going to do was a patchwork t-shirt front and a fleece back, but when I was juuuust about done, the bf decided that he wanted me to leave a hole in the bottom so that he could put his down comforter inside it, and make it a down comforter shell instead of just a thin blanket.

So that's what I did, and he loves it!

The boyfriend, watching TV with his new blanket...

He gives it two thumbs up!

The whole front of the blanket

On his bed (not the best photo, but the best I could get--his room is really small)

Although it was a bit frustrating to piece everything together, overall I'm happy with how it turned out (especially since it's my first time doing something like this).

Thanks for looking! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Master of all things spelling and grammar related.

.:RenDuH:.
peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012 09:42:30 PM »

Wow, that's uber cool. Smiley
It looks really comfy.
I want to do something like that for my son when he outgrows his baby clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
BarbE
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012 10:32:58 PM »

I love this!!  I've been wanting to do a T-shirt quilt but for some reason was worried about the comfort factor, but he looks really comfy and snuggly.  (My DH has been a stagehand for 12 years and until recent years EVERY band gave you a T-shirt after the show loaded out)  Anyway I love how yours is kind of a cazy quilt design and making it as a duvet cover is brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It takes all kinds to make the world go round Smiley
LiniSue
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012 07:21:57 AM »

Smiley Nice job! I have never seen a T-Shirt quilt before - thought I was the only person who wanted to do one.  Hope to finally 'get started' on the one for my daughter. I purposely saved a huge assortment of t-shirts from my daughters wardrobe since she was less than a year old through High School - she is 32 now and the couple of large bins contain the ones that I have previously cut down and those waiting to be cut.  Thanks for giving me a nudge! ...Again great job and nice labor of love.  

P.S. It's always been the piecing together of all the odd sized cropped pieces due to sizes of t-shirts that concerned me and allowed me to delay the process. I wasn't going to quite lay out as you have done butting/sewing each piece together - but really like what you have done. How did you do the seams - if you don't mind me asking - and how long did it take you?

P.P.S. No need to answer - just spent sometime on internet and now have a better idea of type of layout I need. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012 09:08:26 AM by LiniSue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
acraftyjean
Wasabi Snobby~ It's green and it's hot!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012 09:19:28 AM »

really great work! I have made a few of these myself and piecing them was a nightmare, but they always worked out! And they are such a great memory piece!
Really nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recycled repurposed denim and such for handmade accessories!
ninjamom
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012 08:49:48 PM »

Awesome Job!!
this is exactly what my husband has asked me to do with all his old Tshirts. I am too intimidated tho. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RenDuH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012 10:06:28 AM »

Wow, that's uber cool. Smiley
It looks really comfy.
I want to do something like that for my son when he outgrows his baby clothes.

Thanks--it is! haha c( :
And you totally should!  That would be an awesome piece Smiley

I love this!!  I've been wanting to do a T-shirt quilt but for some reason was worried about the comfort factor, but he looks really comfy and snuggly.  (My DH has been a stagehand for 12 years and until recent years EVERY band gave you a T-shirt after the show loaded out)  Anyway I love how yours is kind of a cazy quilt design and making it as a duvet cover is brilliant!

Thank you!
And you totally should!!  I don't know about the comfort factor for when it's not wrapped around the duvet, but it's still super soft, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too terrible....just much thinner.  lol
I think overall it works better as a duvet cover, at least for the winter months.  Wink

Smiley Nice job! I have never seen a T-Shirt quilt before - thought I was the only person who wanted to do one.  Hope to finally 'get started' on the one for my daughter. I purposely saved a huge assortment of t-shirts from my daughters wardrobe since she was less than a year old through High School - she is 32 now and the couple of large bins contain the ones that I have previously cut down and those waiting to be cut.  Thanks for giving me a nudge! ...Again great job and nice labor of love.   

P.S. It's always been the piecing together of all the odd sized cropped pieces due to sizes of t-shirts that concerned me and allowed me to delay the process. I wasn't going to quite lay out as you have done butting/sewing each piece together - but really like what you have done. How did you do the seams - if you don't mind me asking - and how long did it take you?

P.P.S. No need to answer - just spent sometime on internet and now have a better idea of type of layout I need. Thanks again!

Thank you, lol!
Whenever you finish the quilt, definitely post it on Craftster--from what you've described, it sounds like it would be an amazing piece!

really great work! I have made a few of these myself and piecing them was a nightmare, but they always worked out! And they are such a great memory piece!
Really nice job!

Thank you!
And yeah, at times it was a pain (especially because I've always been the kind of person to just kind of wing it...I hate measuring, haha), but overall, I'm super happy with how it turned out.  Smiley

Awesome Job!!
this is exactly what my husband has asked me to do with all his old Tshirts. I am too intimidated tho. 

Thanks!! Cheesy
You should definitely try it--it's not too difficult, just really time consuming.  T-shirts are pretty forgiving though--if you mess proportions up, they'll usually stretch to fit, and then on top of that, you can use scraps to fill in blank spaces (like I did).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VenusInFurs
Lady Day

Time may change me, but I can't trace time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012 03:08:53 PM »

Looks comfy!

I've been working on something similar using my band tees from high school that I just can't bear to throw out, old torn jeans and other too-worn or damaged clothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website...I post tutorials and recipes!
RenDuH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012 02:50:35 PM »

Looks comfy!

I've been working on something similar using my band tees from high school that I just can't bear to throw out, old torn jeans and other too-worn or damaged clothing.

Ooo, sounds awesome!!  Make sure you post it when it's done; I'd love to see how it turns out!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bornagain-creations
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012 01:02:50 AM »

Wow that's a great idea! My husband has too many t shirts (what's the deal with guys not wanting to throw t shirts away??) I might give this one a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
City Paintings by Fran Beallor
Artist Profile: Carolyn Oberst
Supervillain Origins: The Penguin
Crossing the Line Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Monkey Puzzle Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...