A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: nickel plate vs wood  (Read 1033 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iseeaplatypus09
« on: February 17, 2012 09:08:59 AM »

I'm going to buy the knitpicks interchangeable needles, but I can't decide between the nickel plated and the wood. I've never really knitted with wood before, and I know I like metal. But I bought the try it thing and the wood is awesome and the nickel is just a little pointy. I'm just worried that the wood will loose their points over time. Any thoughts or comments?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012 11:01:34 AM »

I LOVE my nickel ones.  Someone from my knitting group said that the wood ones tend to split (she sent them back a few times to knitpicks).  I personally have no experience with the wood ones though.   They are quite pretty! Smiley

I love the pointy-ness of the nickel ones. 

I've actually just recently had 2 cables break (one while I was casting on and one when my sister was knitting).  The purple part just pulled out of the metal screw in part.  Sad     They did send me new cables right away but it's not good when that happens while knitting!!  But I do still totally recommend buying the set.  I actually just bought a second set so I can do  2 circular needle things with good needles. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012 10:52:29 AM »

I have the harmony wood. They are nothing like bamboo and the nickel are nothing like aluminum if you've used that. The harmony wood are much smoother than bamboo and are great for more slippery yarn or if you're new to knitting. I learned on the harmony wood ones. I now want a set of nickel ones because I'm finding the harmony needles are slowing me down a bit and I'm getting comfortable with the nickel ones. But I'll keep both as it's nice to have a back up or if you have a lot of projects like me. And also because depending on the yarn I might want more grip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012 12:17:49 PM »

I try to only use bamboo or wood needles due to sympathetic vibrations which can cause pain... and I have REALLY bad hand joints lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aividal
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012 03:45:39 PM »

I have the harmony wood and I absofreakinglutely love them! I also want the nickle. They are  nothing like bamboo. I haven't had any of that fear that they are going to break. Not to mention, I get tons of complements on how cool they look! Wink

They have a sample pack that you can buy for around $20. You might want to try that. Either way, I'm certain you'll be happy with whichever you buy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I knit so I don't kill people" ;-)
Lesie
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012 08:47:30 PM »

I have the wood ones. I love them. They're so easy on my hands for those really long stretches of knitting. They also tend to hold my yarn better with less slipping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockitScientist
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012 09:28:39 AM »

Helloo.  I can't say I've tried the nickel ones, though they seem like they'd be fantastic for 'sticky' yarn that wants to cling to needles.  I have a set of the harmony wood sock DPNs as well as size ten DPNs for big hats.  They are fantastic.  The wood is nice and warm and they slip and slide like wow.  They're definitely luxurious.  Cheesy  I love the harmony wood, that's for sure.  Also, unlike 'hardwood' DPNs, I've not had a single break.... yet.  *knocks on needles*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Labrador Puppy
How to Create Motion Tweens in Flash CS4
How to Open XFL Files from InDesign in Flash CS4
Publishing to Adobe AIR or Flash Player in Flash CS4
How to Use the Deco Tool in Flash CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...