A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,498
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Framing your artwork (Canvas)  (Read 973 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LiquidScissors
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2005 01:46:25 PM »

I have been painting for years, but have never actually framed any of my artwork, other then water colors and such.  How do I go about framing a peice of Canvas?  I am entering a painting in the state fair and it must be properly framed and all that fun.

Can you take it to places and have it framed?  ahhh... help.

-Liquid
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
rocktopus

seizures may be a trap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005 08:49:19 PM »

i would bet big money that the state fair does not require a gallery wrapped canvas to be framed--this is a canvas that has no staples in the sides. if they do require it, they are retarded: gallery wrapped is named such for a reason--it is perfectly acceptable in galleries.

that said, i'm betting you have your work done already, and most people buy staple-y canvases because they're cheaper. if yours do have staples, then you're stuck with framing. i've never personally framed a canvas, but it looks fairly simple. i'd look around for tutorials online. otherwise, yes, you can take thme somewhere--anywhere that offers custom framing. some art supply stores, like the one i work at, do this. hobby lobby does it, but i hear bad things about them. most towns have a custom framing shop or two. however, this costs a pretty penny. therefore, lesson for the future: always buy gallery wrapped canvases (or build your own). two bucks in the beginning is much better than the hundred bucks it will take to get a canvas framed.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005 08:51:09 PM by rocktopus » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiquidScissors
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005 08:54:19 PM »

I actually have not started the painting yet, hehe.  So is gallery wrapped the kind of canvas that is thin? or is it all together a different type of canvas?  I usually the flat canvas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
rocktopus

seizures may be a trap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005 08:05:09 AM »

gallery wrapped canvases should be labeled as such. or ask for them. it just means that they simply have no staples in the sides, and the canvas is neatly folded around and stapled in the back. often--but not always--they are thicker--two/two and a half inches think as opposed to oneish. thicker canvas frames are generally preferred because they look more professional and are more resistant to warping over the years. the best thing to do is really to build your own, which is some work, but not THAT hard. maybe i'll post a tutorial sometime, if one hasn't been done.

also! important when painting on gallery canvases! people often overlook the sides of their canvases. DO NOT FORGET THEM. they can make or break a painting. it's acceptable to leave the unpainted, but if you do, make sure that they are neat and there are not marks running over from the front. you can do whatever you want with the sides. some of my paintings have unpainted sides, some have simple soild colors that complement the painting, and some have th epainting continued onto them. most people leave the sides for last, and this is probably smart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ballerina Inspired Hairstyle at the Bibhu Mohapatra SS 2014 Show
How to Get Sexy Date Night Hair in Minutes
Modern Textured Hairstyles at the Tadashi Shoji SS 2014 Fashion Show
A Quick Updo Tutorial, for a Formal Event
Top 5 Ways to Add Shine to Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...