I re-upholstered an old ottoman to match my living room.
The ottoman was a hand-me-down from my grandparents, who bought it in the early 70s, and I think the original upholstery makes that pretty obvious:
I like the vintage look and all but the yellow was stained and didn't match my mostly blue and green living room.
I started with this white and teal fabric
but after my experience with a white table cloth I didn't want to risk white on something that was harder to wash, so I died it with RIt dye. The color was "cocoa" but it turned out a little more terracotta colored, but I like it anyway.
Covering it was pretty easy...it's really just five rectangles sewn together. To get the shaping right I just pinned it inside out right to the ottoman like this:
and sewed within about an inch of each corner. To get the corners nice and crisp I folded one side at an angle and stitched until I felt the little bump in the fabric where the corner fold was, and made one stitch into the fold and backstitched.
Then I turned the fabric and folded the other side, so I could just see the extra stitch into the fold, shown by the arrow below. Then I just stitched right to that point and backstitched.
Then the slid the whole thing over the ottoman, folded the edges under, and stapled them to the bottom with a stable gun.