A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Giving my gijinka a fluffy skirt. Help please.  (Read 770 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dogl0v3r
« on: February 15, 2012 03:34:32 PM »

Okay, so I'm making a Reshiram gijinka in the form of a ballgown. For the non-gamers here, Reshiram is a feathery legendary dragon Pokemon from the 4th generation >>> http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/reshiram

I've got a design all ready to make a prototype dress, but there's one problem. I don't know how to get the 'feathery' effect without copping out and gluing feather boas to the skirt XD

Here is the effect I'm trying to emulate >>> http://www.buyselldress.co.uk/Sites/buyselldress_co_uk/Uploads/User/bridal-dress-b19b1b20032b1039bb5fa094f9bbd0b4.jpg

It looks like soft tulle cut and/or stitched in a certain way, but I can't really figure it out. Are there any experienced dressmakers who can point me in the right direction?

Any help would be awesome x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
MASCmanik

Crazy is my sustenance.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012 02:05:47 PM »

Although I am *not* an experienced dressmaker, I would guess you could get a similar effect by taking strips of nylon tulle (the soft stuff, not nylon net the scratchy stuff) and gather down the center (you can do that with your home machine set to the longest stitch and the tightest needle tension).  You would then sew a bunch of those strips (down the middle where you gathered) onto the base of the skirt however close together you need to give it the correct volume.  Like I said, I have not actually done this, but it is my best guess.  Hope that helps and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bubbles create rainbows through positive interference.
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012 12:07:30 AM »

The way the strips ripple back and forth, I would think they might be circular ruffles (and here, and here), where the outer edge of the ruffle is longer than the sewn edge. It doesn't need to be a perfect circle, merely curved to a certain extent to achieve that effect. You could even cut the ruffles as a spiral, which would look very cool with the inner edge sewn to your base fabric. Here's a different way to make a spiral ruffle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Marinade
How to Make Butter Sauce
How to Make a Philly Cheese Steak with Cheez Whiz
How to Cook Salmon with Vegetables
How to make Dazzling Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...