A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with this top  (Read 1441 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cookiepockets
« on: February 14, 2012 08:02:10 PM »

After I failed miserably trying to make a New Look pattern with this material, I tore it apart and tried to make it a different outfit.  While it isn't exactly what I wanted, it isn't horrid either.  My problem is, I feel like there is something not right about it.  At the moment it's too tight (I'm working on weight loss), but I tried adding a white band to the bottom which I feel is too big, and too long for this top.
Any suggestions on what I could do to fix this top? I'm wondering if I should lose the white strip at the bottom and just hem the shirt as it is.

*edit* I Finally got around to my UFO pile for this shirt.  I decided to ditch the white band and neckband, I traded the white for grey and hemmed the top to a less "in between" length.  I saw some awesome suggestions, but at the end of the day, a band around the middle didn't look as good as I thought it would.  I turned the V-neck to the back because it didn't sit right on me and I think at the end of the day, it looks better than if I had left it as it was.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012 08:04:52 PM by Cookiepockets » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012 08:07:43 PM »

Hem it as a shirt Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
YumJello01

Cats make for furry crafts

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012 10:47:38 PM »

Definitely take off the white band, hem it as a shirt - but I was thinking some small slits at the sides?  Just to give it a little looseness at the hips?  It might be a bit more comfortable that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for book page paper flowers for my sister's wedding!  Will do personal swaps/swaps for supplies (available listed here) Thanks!

http://pinterest.com/yumjello01/
Cookiepockets
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012 02:27:31 AM »

Slits might not be a bad idea but i don't have much fabric to work with unfortunately. I was planning on saving it to wear when Ive lost more weight, sort of as a treat to keep me motivated and keep me going.  But yes I will lose the band at the bottom, I was hoping it would work but it just doesn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FeliciaSlayDCRG
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012 04:46:28 AM »

If you still think it needs something once you remove the white band, you could always try a narrow lace trim. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morus
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012 04:14:30 AM »

I vote for hem it as a shirt.  It's cute with a little of the white showing, ties in with the white on top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Honeythief
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012 01:22:19 AM »

Definitely hem it as a shirt, with just a slim white band at the bottom like in your second photo. It'll be cute and worth losing weight for   Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Jenny
Penguillama
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012 06:21:06 PM »

definitely prefer it as a shirt Smiley a wide black self-tie belt directly under the bust (e.g. empire waist) might be flattering, especially with a structured fabric.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012 06:49:42 PM by Penguillama » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012 04:56:41 PM »

I think it needs something to break up the middle. I like the sash idea.. maybe usesome white fabric there? Or put in an under bust solid panel? I'd also put in small side slits to help. Give movement to the shirt. If you lack fabric to back them, use some white instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
Cookiepockets
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012 12:30:13 PM »

The sash photo made me laugh when I first saw it, only because it accentuated my tummy bulge  Cheesy.  I do like the idea of that though.  Or the other idea of white under the bust to break the shirt up, I could use the bottom white part and stick it to the middle for something to break up the shirt.  I just need to wade through my pile of WIPs and retrieve it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 5/9
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 6/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 8/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 4/8
How to Crochet a Christmas Wreath Part 0/8
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...