A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Happy Tales of the Abyss Day! (Plus Basic Doll Pattern!)  (Read 35631 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , free_crochet_pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Drossy
« on: February 14, 2012 06:02:16 PM »

What? Valentine's Day? I have no idea what you're talking about. Today is Tales of the Abyss Day, obviously. It's the day that my favorite game on the Playstaion 2 gets re-released on the Nintendo 3DS! And to celebrate, I just had to make plushies of all the main characters. :D (This picture is way too tiny. Click here for better results: http://www.deviantart.com/download/285023026/tota___amigurumi_party_by_miss_lanane-d4pp16a.jpg

From right to left, we have:
Jade Curtiss, Guy Cecil, Tear Grants, Luke fon Fabre, Asch the Bloody, Natalia Luzu Kimlasca Lanvaldear, Anise Tatlin, and Fon Master Ion.

And here's a picture of all the characters together.

How well did I do?

And finally, a silly shot of them posing with the game.

Ion didn't make it into the game's cover art, so he made sure to photobomb here. XD

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Originally, I was going to hold onto this pattern and perhaps sell it, but Tales of the Abyss Day has filled my heart with so much love that I feel that I should share with all of you. So this is my basic doll pattern that I made up last summer. It was used as a base to make all of the dolls above, so it's fairly versatile.

Keep in mind that if you follow the pattern as it is, it will just make a solid color doll with nothing extra. If you want fancy outfits like my Abyss dolls, you're on your own. But hey, with just a few color switches, you can make someone wearing shoes, pants, and a t-shirt without having to do anything fancy!

This is worked in JOINED ROWS. That means that after each round, you sl to the first sc, turn, and then continue with the next round going in the opposite direction. I'm sure you can tweak the pattern so that you can use spiral or joined rounds, but don't blame me if it doesn't come out correctly.

I use a 3.50 mm (E/4) hook with worsted weight yarn, but use whatever you feel most comfortable with. I also keep pattern notes without numbering the rows, so I hope you don't mind if type up the pattern that way. Let me know if you have any questions, as this isn't a standard way of writing patterns. :)

Right leg
ch 2, 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook (5)
2sc in each st around (10)
(2sc in first st, sc in next) x5 (15)
sc in each st around for 3 rows (15)
sc in first 5 st, 3 dec over next 6 st, sc in last 4 st (12)
sc in each st around for 6 rows (12)
fo and stuff

Left Leg, Body, and Head
(Same as right leg, but don't fo)
sc in first 10 sc
Now take the right leg and sc into the 4th st from the join where you fo'd. sc in remaining 11 sc in right leg. sc in last 2 st in left leg (24)
sc in each st around for 10 rows (24)
(sc in first 6 st, 3 dec over next 6 st) x2 (18)
(3 dec over next 6 st, sc in next 3 st) x2 (12)
sc in each st around for 1 row (12)
Begin stuffing body
2sc in each st around (24)
(2sc in first st, sc in next st) x12 (36)
sc in each st around for 8 rows (36)
(sc in next 4 st, dec over next 2 st) x6 (30)
(sc in next 3 st, dec over next 2 st) x6 (24)
(sc in next 2 st, dec over next 2 st) x6 (18)
Begin stuffing head
(sc in nest st, dec over next 2 st) x6 (12)
6 dec over 12 st
finish stuffing, fo, and sew closed.

Arms (make 2)
ch 2, 4 sc in 2nd ch from hook (4)
2 sc in each st around (8)
(2sc in first st, sc in next st) x4 (12)
sc in each st around for 2 rows (12)
(sc in first st, dec over next 2 st) x4 (8)
sc in each st around for 5 rows (8)
fo
stuff, but do not stuff so much that you can't flatten the open end. sew the opening closed so that the top is flattened rather than rounded. Do not cut off the tail after sewing closed.

Assembly
pin the arms onto the body so that the hands point downward. use the tail that you used to sew the arms shut to sew them to the body.

You're done! Now you have a little chubby naked doll (unless you added your own embelishments of course). Again, let me know if you have any questions, and make sure to show me if you make anything with this pattern! :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012 06:17:16 PM by Drossy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BunnieBard
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012 06:10:54 PM »

Holy detaaaails, Batman!  Shocked

I still say Luke is my favorite, but Asch's tabard... thing is crazy, and Anise's front is really neat and who is this Natalia person and why does she have such a ridiculous name??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drossy
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012 06:30:22 PM »

who is this Natalia person and why does she have such a ridiculous name??

XD Perhaps I should have said "Princess" Natalia Luzu Kimlasca Lanvaldear. Kimlasca-Lanvaldear is her home country, and I think it's customary for royalty to take the name of their nation as their surname or something. I think "Luzu" is just a nobility thing, like how Luke, the Duke's son, has "fon" in his name. None of the other characters have anything between their first and last names.

And thank you for your comments. Cheesy I love doing super detailed stuff. Otherwise, I'd probably get bored. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spoopy
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012 02:10:51 PM »

This is amazing! I love the Tales series (Tales of Symphonia is my favorite) Thanks for much for the basic pattern! I have been looking for a nice base pattern with body and legs as one piece so this is perfect!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orijans
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012 10:20:14 AM »

I love them!! I am going to have to try to make Guy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plaid
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013 06:49:14 PM »

Thanks for the pattern!  It required a slight tweak around the shoulder area, I just moved the increases to the sides.  
I made a cyberman (from Doctor Who) out of my doll.  Sorry for the terrible photo.  I can't get Craftster to stop squishing it and turning it sideways.  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hookin Around
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014 01:51:59 PM »

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for sharing your pattern.  I tweaked it to make all the members of Phish for a friend of mine.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/HookinAround/phish
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Man Bids $360k On Princess Diana Gown To Cheer Up Wife
Designer Spotlight: YANA K
How to Embellish a Blouse With Pearls Inspired by Chanel
AG Jeans and Liberty London Collab On Denim Collection
#Trends: Stripes From Casual Chic To Glam
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...