A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help on sewing this dress  (Read 1461 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixie24
« on: February 13, 2012 06:25:25 AM »

my friend got me for a bridesmaid for her wedding this may. she was originally going to have a seamstress make us our dresses. but she had an accident over the holidays and had to undergo a minor surgery. unfortunately her insurance doesn't cover it so she had to use the budget for the dresses.

so now we'll have to pay for our own dresses. the seamstress was kind enough to sell her the fabric she was originally going to use at a discounted price. so she was able to give us 3 yards of chiffon and 3 yards of star satin for the lining.

unfortunately, i could not find a seamstress that charges within my budget. so i was thinking of diy-ing it. i have made a diy dress before (a floor length convertible dress which i also wore for a wedding and whose tutorial i got from another thread in here) but that was a very simple pattern. i have never made a dress with lining and the works. so if anyone here is kind enough to help me out with tutorials and stuff, i would very much appreciate it.

the design of the dress is like this:

but the neckline and sleeves will be like this:

hope someone can help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aranumenwen
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012 12:25:37 AM »

Have you by chance looked around for a pattern for it, it would probably be easiest to find a pattern very close to what you want and alter it accordingly from there instead of winging it for the entire thing.  Plus patterns always come with step by step instructions for exactly what you're doing.  I'd suggest looking going through the more popular ones (at least as far as what I know) burda, simplicity, vogue, McCalls.  They all have tons of patterns and you can probably find something really close and hey if everyone else is still looking than maybe you can get your friend to alter the look for everyone as well. 

As far as linings go, and for what I've done myself.  They're really nothing to worry about they're really easy, pretty much a simple double of the dress that doesn't have to look as nice, and as long as nothing bunches funny you're pretty peachy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012 05:55:14 AM »

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8360-products-8121.php?page_id=861
Try this for size. Maybe make a toile from muslin or thrifted sheets and then you can play around and change the empire waist into a natural waistline, and make the straps a little wider. Hope it helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StitchWench
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012 08:14:08 PM »

Is the "infinity dress" a possibility? Here: http://blog.moonberry.com/2011/05/infinity-dress-part-2.html in the panel of black dresses there's one that looks similar to the red one you've pictured above. I have no idea what the back of the garment looks like though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012 05:33:59 PM »

I would say this is just an infinity dress, wrapped a particular way. I'd make a version with wide straps or have it made...lots of these dresses on etsy.com. It's about 5 yards of fabric, but you'll have a lot of waste. Maybe more for the long version. Also, most sellers of these sell you a tube top for underneath for about 3 bucks. I'd look for the cheapest price maker of these and if it's too steep, just find a simple infinity pattern online. To line it, you just make a second skirt part and put the two inside faces together and sew them together at the top before you put the waistband on. The tube top should eliminate the need for lining the straps, but if you need to, just cut two of each strap and sew them together on all sides but the waist side. Turn them inside out and attach to the waist with the waistband and lining.

Good luck on this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best New Beauty Products for September 2013
Birchbox Sneak Peek: September 2013
Lucy Hale Makeup Tutorial: The Beauty Beat!
Ways To Use Coconut Oil in Your Beauty Regimen
Need to Know: In Style Sneakers, The Moth, and iTunes Music Festival
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...