A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitpicks Interchangeable Kits  (Read 1031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mandyandbingley
« on: October 27, 2011 08:40:33 AM »

I tried searching to see if this had been asked before, and didn't find anything;

I have only been knitting about 7 months, and as the only knitter in the family... I have no chance of hand-me-downs, lol. I bought cheap bamboo double pointed needles and straight needles on ebay (like $20 each kit which had size 1-15 or something like that), so I'm pretty set there, but I'm still building my collection of circular needles, and with most new projects I have to buy a new set of circular needles, which is getting annoying, lol. I get home and think, "Oh, I'll start this, I can't wait!" and find out I do have to wait, because my circulars aren't the right size or length. Sometimes (like what I'm working on now) I'm working with a size smaller needle (which is fine) with way too long of a cord (since I had bought these for an adorable poncho).

So, the other day when I was buying yarn at my favorite little shop for my new projects (can't wait to finish, they are going to be so cute!!) the owner and I were talking about needles, she suggested the Knitpicks kit. I really like working with bamboo over metal, so I would be springing for the Harmony wood kit if I get them. She said that everyone that gets them loves them... For the people here that have them, are they really all that and a bag of potato chips? I love the idea of being able to swap the tips with various size cables. If I get them, it won't be for another couple months since they are pricey, but wanted to look for opinions Smiley

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011 12:18:55 PM »

They really are all that a about 5 bags of potato chips. I'm in love with mine. I got them when I was just starting out knitting so that I wouldn't need circulars, straights, and different size circulars. They do it all. The cables are super flexible and they are so pretty and if one gets damaged from the set it's really easy to order just that size.

The only issue with them is that they don't come in sock sizes. They may be adding those later on, but if you want to knit socks you need to order the set circulars in the size you need.

I'm a huge fan of the knit picks Harmony needles and will probably use them as long as I can, unless I decide to try a nickel plated kind, but I'm sure these are going to be my set of choice.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011 12:22:45 PM by PenguinSoup » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011 12:31:35 PM »

Knitter's pride also has a set of interchangeable laminated wood needles. They're colour coded to size and  have the sized stamped on them which is really nice. I suggest getting one of Della Q's new interchangeable needle cases. The new ones are really small and can fit in any bad no problem, and have the sizes marked on the pockets so you don't need to keep a needle sizer with you if you keep the case organized.

If you're getting the knitpicks needles, I reccomend getting some extra cables in different sizes. I got at least one pack of each cable and haven't needed any extras yet. That way if you decide to make an afghan you won't need to wait for a bigger cable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandyandbingley
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011 04:20:17 PM »

Thanks for your help!! Now I want them even more, lol! I'm shooting wedding at the end of November, most of the money I'll get from it is slated for bills, but maybe I can save some of it and buy myself the needles :-D .... and more yarn, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Faux_Valentine
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011 07:58:41 AM »

I bought a set of KP zypher needles and im fairly happy with them. I would recommend the zyphers if you are knitting with size 6 and above though as when i was knitting with my 4's and 5's i snapped them in half. Talk about heart breaking, anyway i like the zypher because its the right combination  tacky stickiness and slip. its the in between of bamboo and metal. I like knitting lace with them, but most of my projects are socks or smaller items that require smaller needles. I just went out and bought 5 or 6 size 1,2,3,4, needles yeah it was an investment but its the sizes that i knit with most often. So i would say if you knit sweaters or hats or with worsted weight a lot interchangeable might be for you, but if you knit socks and mittens and other things with fingering or sport weight yarn you may just want to invest in a few pairs of fixed circulars. Oh and i buy all my circulars at 40" or above because you can always deal with extra but you can never add on any more. Its like magic loop *shrugs*

Hope you get what helps you best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deenac
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011 03:12:03 PM »

I highly recommend the Harmony needles. I use all types, but use the circulars more than any of them. I've only had one problem with one set ans when I reported it to the company, they replaced them and were nice as can be about it, apologizing non stop. As a matter of fact, the complete circular sets are on my wish list for Christmas, plus the dpn's, lo :Dl. I say go for it, buying them for yourself is an investment that will be a benefit for a lifetime, plus, they'll make you so happy to own them.

Deena
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandyandbingley
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011 01:18:15 PM »

Thanks so much for the help! I bought a pair of #17 circs that I needed for a couple projects to give them a try. Going to cast on with them tonight and see what I think! If I like the needles I'm going to buy the kit with some of the money I get for shooting the wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happy Howl-idays

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011 06:29:39 AM »

Last year for x-mas I received a hobby lobby gift card and they were having a  40% off sale too, so I bought a interchangle circrular set.  Its Boyle brand.  Its nice, and has lots of attachments and such.  My only real complaint is that they screw together and being like that, Ive already warped one end of needles.  I was hoping there was  set of interchangebales that clicked or locked together instead of screwing together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Are you good at painting?  I would love some hand painted paintings of Pugs.  PM me and lets talk about a swap!  Smiley

~If someone tells you that your putting too much peanut butter on your bread, stop talking to them.  You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
iseeaplatypus09
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012 07:58:56 PM »

I know this is a few months late, but I don't reccomend the boye kind. The knitpicks are a lot better, yes they screw in, but the joint where the cable meets the metal screw in part is so much better on the knit picks kind. I can spin my boyes, which isn't good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Analyze and Group Images in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Build Your Own Bridge in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Enable Color Management in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Use the Bridge CS3 in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Manage Colors in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...