A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
356 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first ever dress!  (Read 3826 times)
Tags for this thread: dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purringcat
« on: February 12, 2012 06:23:12 PM »

I started sewing about 2 years ago now, but I only really just started sewing clothes in the last few months. I recently made a top, which ended up being too big, and, well, not that great. But I recently scored a bunch of patterns for $2 each, and my birthday is coming up, so I decided to make myself a dress. I chose Butterick B4443, which is a fairly simple dress, and some polka-dot fabric I bought on sale ages ago.

Although it's apparently an easy pattern, I had some difficulties with. First of all, I cut out the size that matched my measurements (20) and the bodice was WAY too big. I ended up going with a 16 in the end, and it still could have been smaller at my waist. There are no darts in the pattern, which means the dress gapes slightly at my armpits, which I hate. Unfortunately, being a newbie sewer, I didn't realise the lack of darts would be a problem until it was too late. I just assumed the dress didn't need them. I also found hemming the skirt to be difficult, and as for comprehending Butterick's instructions on zip insertion...I ended up just doing the zip the best way I knew how. But I learned how to understitch lining, and let me tell you, I am so proud of the inside of the bodice I could just burst!

So yes, it's not perfect, but it's definitely suitable to wear out on my birthday. I originally planned not to do the sash the pattern includes, but after feedback from my husband I think I will add it in.

Now I need to sew more things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annigirl22
Kickin Ass since '89

ninja! or something like that...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012 07:39:12 PM »

ugh, I've never had a good experience with any butterick patterns. but I think your dress turned out fantastic!!
it's great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.
-Richard Bach

feel free to stalk me:
http://pinterest.com/annigirl22/
http://wists.com/annigirl22

I <3 personal swaps, PM me! Wink
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012 09:02:17 PM »

Great job and it looks wonderful on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
pinkcatflower
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012 09:07:14 PM »

Hi!  Great job, I am a beginning sewer (sewist?) too, and I've definitely had my struggles!  Your result looks great Smiley

Omg, I am so glad I'm not the only one that has problems with garments turning out too big- ALL the garments I've made from patterns have turned out huge if I made them from what the pattern indicates.  It's made me really careful and now I won't make anything without doing lots of measuring of the flat pattern, and also now I am making test garments from cheap material too (like thrift store bedsheets).

Great job doing lining and a zip!  I find that most instructions on zips are very vague/hard to understand too.

I agree with your husband, a sash would look great- I'm thinking a plain black or white would bring out the cute polka dots?  What are you planning? Smiley

p.s Oh, I just looked at the pattern, and this is one I've thought of making too, it's so cute.  I see that it has princess seams (those vertical, curved seams down the bodice).  My understanding of princess seams is that they incorporate the shaping a dart provides into the seam.  So your dress technically does have dart shaping.  BUT I'm sorry!  I have no idea what causes it to gape under the arms!  Probably just the shaping they provided didn't fit your individual body.  Wish I could tell ya exactly how though!

Anyway, after my ramble: You did awesome, keep going!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
purringcat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012 09:15:34 PM »

I'm thinking maybe a white sash would look good against the polka dots Smiley

Thanks for the info about princess seams, I guess my bust is just the wrong shape! It's odd because I have an hourglass figure and largish boobs, so you'd think if anything it would be too tight around the bust, but instead it's loose in odd places.

I know it would be best if I made a test garment from a sheet or muslin, but I'm too impatient Tongue I think I will next time, though, because it's just so hard to tell if the size will be ok from looking at pattern pieces.

Thanks for your kind words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkcatflower
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012 10:28:14 PM »

Cool, I'm sure a white sash will look great Smiley

And your bust isn't the "wrong shape", haha.  Just remember everyone is different, or fitting could be demoralising!   Wink  I'm trying to fit a top right now and I've had to make sloping shoulders, small bust, short waist and sway back alterations so far... Yep, fitting is quite the subject to get into.

Good luck with your future garments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
nerdyhippy
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012 04:38:56 AM »

Love it! It turned out very flattering...I love the shape.

I've had a similar problem with patterns as well! After many tops and dresses turning out too large I figured out that I just needed to go with my waist size even though it's the smallest measurement and my bust and hips measurements are 2 and 4 inches larger than the size chart says. Maybe I like less ease in my clothes than the patterns are designed for? Or maybe I just don't know how to use a tape measure and can't measure myself?

Good job not giving up! Whenever I end up with clothes the wrong size I'm likely to say "screw it", throw it in the closet, and forget about it for a year...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012 06:53:01 AM »

Yup, pattern sizing is the worst! But kudos to you for going for it! I want to make clothes but find myself intimidated. I'll sew like crazy for kids and always make my Halloween costume but can't seem to bring myself to really try to make every day clothes. The dress is great. All I can think of about the fit is that the size gets bigger but the curves don't, which is stupid. And these are the kinds of things we just don't learn until it's too late. Sad Mock ups are great but more work so....I'm also very impatient.

Anywhoo, nice work. And the sash the pattern suggests...it's fine and would totally work in a number of colors. But I can't help but think it would look super cute with a wider sash/belt. In a bold color. With matching shoes and purse. A belt that is designed to fit just your waist and hooks closed in the back. Or that is longer and ties into a cute bow. Really wide so it bunches a bit or more narrow so it's more crisp. At this point, you have a great dress that you pair with a million different types of sash/belts and it'll look fabulous. So have fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012 10:33:34 AM »

Great job it looks fantastic.

Thanks for the info about princess seams, I guess my bust is just the wrong shape! It's odd because I have an hourglass figure and largish boobs, so you'd think if anything it would be too tight around the bust, but instead it's loose in odd places.

Because you measured around your bust it won't be too tight there.  The reason for the gaping at the armpits is because your bust is bigger than they make the pattern for (ie you are narrower above your bust than the pattern is made for (little darts at the armpit can offer a quick fix to the problem).  I hope that makes sense, I have the same problem with just about everything I make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012 04:13:55 PM »

Great job it looks fantastic.

Because you measured around your bust it won't be too tight there.  The reason for the gaping at the armpits is because your bust is bigger than they make the pattern for (ie you are narrower above your bust than the pattern is made for (little darts at the armpit can offer a quick fix to the problem).  I hope that makes sense, I have the same problem with just about everything I make.

I was about to offer the same advice as kjlutz did. You could still add in a small dart from where you begin to have extra fabric at the bust and angle it toward the armpit.

I can not tell you how many times I have had to add darts in on my clothing and I am not big chested.

Looks nice, I do agree about a sash or belt. Maybe a nice electric blue grossgrain ribbon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Halloween Themed Carrot Cakes
Cute Kids Halloween Snack: Vampire Donuts
How to Make Homemade Gourmet Chocolate Bars
How to Make Bloody Marshmallows for Halloween
Marijuana Infused Bourbon & Caramel Ice Cream Sundae
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...