A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Organising an ongoing swap  (Read 2475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SilverMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 12, 2012 01:45:17 PM »

I am wrapping up the TM patch swap, and people have expressed interest in having a second round that runs a bit like the ongoing ATC, with posting of lists and claiming of partners. This seems like it would make my job easier, but also more complicated, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make running one easier. Has anyone come up with a new format to the swap document to make things clearer for these sorts of swaps?

I had a lot of fun with this swap, and it was suprisingly painless for my first swap, especially such a large one, but the thought of juggling even more partners (this swap only had 3 each as a top limit) and multiple send out dates makes the Virgo in me a little freaked at how to document it all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012 02:42:40 PM »

Honestly, I've run several ongoing swaps (several months worth) and it's a hard thing to do.  If you have a lot of experience with regular swapping and quite a bit of free time throughout the day to update things, you'll be okay.

I would suggest talking to successful organisers of ongoing swaps, here's a few that would be good suggestions:

alwaysinmyroom
rlynn
alteredmommy

There's lots more, but there's a couple for ideas.  Go over and look at their ongoing swaps and see if you can pick up hints and ask some questions! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012 10:22:16 AM »

I wouldn't host an ongoing swap unless I knew I could be online several times a day to keep things updated, especially if the swap is popular and people are quick to post.

(I have never hosted one. I'm afraid.  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012 12:29:40 PM »

All I have to offer is that it is ALOT of work Cheesy  The STS runs with 2 people keeping track of everything (used to be 3 when we were much busier with 100's of claims a month) and I agree that you do have to commit to being online regularly to keep an eye on things.  The STS is set up in a swap specific Excel spreadsheet format (that I inherited and honestly have no idea how to set up Cheesy), one person keeps the spreadsheet and point tally, the other person keeps the public list of claims.

I would think chain style is the easiest way to go with a limit on claims allowed until the first ones are sent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
SilverMoon

Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012 01:19:06 PM »

I would think chain style is the easiest way to go with a limit on claims allowed until the first ones are sent.

That's what I meant - like the ATC swap. I overexplained it and sounded like I meant the other ongoing sort.

Note to self: do not attempt to brain before the first morning coffee.

I'm online pretty much constantly so I don't think that side of it will be too hard, just the keeping track of things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012 01:52:18 PM »

The spreadsheet is the way to go to keep track (although I am not computer savvy enough to actually set one up...hopefully it isn't that hard), the STS one has a column for who the claim is from, what it is, who the claim is to, the date claimed, the date sent, the date received.  We also have a points column that auto adds and subtracts from the master points list which you wouldn't need but you could replace that with columns that track how many claims someone has/sent/received.  Every month I start a new one copied from the previous round and keep updating the old one so I know what claims are still out in the postal wilds.  Its also a good idea to have a standard claim format with a standard pm so you don't go crazy trying to figure out who is claiming what Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012 01:57:49 PM »

I still don't know how you STS people do it.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012 02:00:57 PM »

Its been almost 4 years so I'm kind of used to it by now Cheesy  Some of the other ongoing swaps totally confuse me so its all in what you know I guess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012 06:05:49 PM »

An ongoing TM Patch swap sounds like a great swap.  I agree that chain sounds a mite easier to run since it sort of manages itself as far as number of claims.  The Pinterest one that I have been running is a TON of work since I have to log on quite often to update claims.  If I wasn't so worried about people knowing how many times a certain person has been claimed (to keep things somewhat even) then it wouldn't be a big deal.  I will say that because of the nature of the staggered signups (and this would be true even for a chain style swap) you essentially have 2 swaps up and running constantly.  Yesterday was the last day of ship outs for the Jan round of the Pinterest swap but of course I still need to keep tabs on when items arrive, if they get lost, etc...while at the same time managing the active Feb round.  Shoot since we have international swappers, sometimes I have 3 rounds still not technically completely finished as we wait for all the packages to show up.

Its my first swap so it was a big bite to chew off for my first go, but its a lot of fun too.  I'll keep my eye out in case you open one.  I'd consider joining.  I have been making my first TM patches the last week and I kind of enjoy it.  Its far more portable than my other sewing projects! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012 09:50:11 AM »

Hi there!  I thought I would throw in my two cents here (didn't see this thread until now), since I'm currently running the ongoing atc swap (for my 5 consecutive month now).

yes, it is a lot of work.  lol!  I just try not to let it bog me down, and I pretty much update the swap every morning, and that seems to work fine with me and everyone else.  Though I do keep my craftster open all day just in case any questions arise.

I also agree with alteredmommy about the spread sheet.  I started with all in a notebook, but once the swap got more and more busy, it was easier to update when it was all in the computer.  Also, my co-organizer tells me what ATCs are in the gallery and gives me a list so that I can update the swap. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Two Time War Vet Gets Crafty for Charity
How to Make DIY Tassel Jewelry
How to Make DIY Shrinky Dink Jewelry
How to Make a Pastel Pearl Wooden Bead Necklace
The Delicate Art of the Faberge Egg
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...