A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Goldtone Corset  (Read 1291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MinervaLRenfield
« on: February 12, 2012 12:21:43 PM »

Made this as a gift for a friend.  It's an 1800's style Victorian corset.  The dress form is the wrong size but my adjustable dress form doesn't shrink down to Kim's size.  It'll look better when it's one someone with the right curves.

Mind the messy costume room.  Now that the corset is done I can set about cleaning it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012 01:27:51 PM »

This is beautiful. Is it steel boned? I love that the lacing is "right", so many people make beautiful corsets and then cheat themselves out of something outstanding by not putting in enough eyelets so the lacing ends up too spaced out. Does it have a modesty panel too?
I need friends like you who make beautiful things like this.... I must admit I do occasionally stalk your projects because your level of craftsmanship is outstanding, and the historical costuming is right up my alley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MinervaLRenfield
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012 01:42:57 PM »

Awww I'm blushing!  I love being stalked.  Well for matters such as this, if I find you hiding outside my house in the bushes I will pepper spray you!  lol

I never use steel bones tbh.  I hate them.  Maybe I'm a snob but I find them more pain than they're worth and not worth the price.  I used to use "artificial whalebone" that came on a spool and you cut to size, that was fantastic.  It was light, flexible, not at all brittle like the cheap plastic boning you get from fabric stores and it never rusted or developed permanent kinks like I've seen metal do.  I'm a big girl and need a lot of support in my corsets because I tightly cinch mine and I've found no positive difference between the metal and the fake whalebone in that department.

Recently I learned a trick that's made me even give up on the whalebone for a lot of projects - Heavy duty cable ties.  You can find them in home improvement stores, typically around the air conditioner supplies.  Cut them to the length you need and use a candle to melt the edges a bit to smooth them out.  (Don't put them in the flame, just use the heat around it to give them a bit of a softer edge.  It doesn't take much!)  It's SOOOO much cheaper and much more convenient than order boning on line.

An important thing to improve your corsets "support" isn't the boning, it's the interlining.  Use something with low stretch and strength like denim and fasten the bone tape (Or sew bone channels if that's your route) to it.  If you put the stress on the "inner core" of your corset instead of on the lining or fashion fabric it makes a world of difference.

I'm the queen of finding cheaper alternatives sometimes. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kraize4step
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012 06:26:53 AM »

It looks really nice congratulations. I bet you have a very happy friend ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^.^ desire to be you ^.^
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Pictures in Shadow
How to Take Pictures in Bright Sunlight
How to Take Nude Portraits
Marty Stuart Photography Slideshow
Insta Photographers - Are Apps Like Instagram Ruining Photography?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...