A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scoliosis earrings  (Read 1809 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RachelAS
« on: February 12, 2012 11:28:45 AM »

I originally made these for the Craftster beading challenge, then realized it probably wasn't the type of thing they wanted. These earrings are basically a beaded representation of scoliotic spines with S-curves.

(The rest of this is just why I felt the need to make these, so feel free to skip the rest of this post if you don't feel like reading it.)

Scoliosis has basically run my life for me for the past thirteen years. I was five and having back pain, so my mother got me a mattress pad and that was the end of it. I got a physical the summer I turned eight and found out my scoliosis was past the cutoff point for surgery. Because I was so young, I got a Boston brace for it. I had the surgery when I was twelve. Long story short, the surgery was messed up, and so I ended up with chronic back pain. I've realized scoliosis is pretty media-shy, so I've been coming up with ways to try to get people to know about it, including writing articles, making things like this, and blogging about it occasionally.

For those of you who don't know (if you're still with me), scoliosis is the bending and twisting of the spine into basically what those earrings look like (for an S curve) or into the top or bottom half of those earrings (for a C curve). If you're interested in getting more information, go here!

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012 12:12:49 PM »

Thank you for your story and the story of the earrings. Some things need a little more information out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012 03:06:48 PM »

Ouch!  Scoliosis runs in my family, too.  We are "fortunate" enough that it is generally a low percentage of curvature.  On the downside, osteo also runs in the family... I love your spine earrings!  I think I need to make some, as well.  But, mine will have red spots for where the pain is Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachelAS
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012 04:14:21 PM »

Ouch!  Scoliosis runs in my family, too.  We are "fortunate" enough that it is generally a low percentage of curvature.  On the downside, osteo also runs in the family... I love your spine earrings!  I think I need to make some, as well.  But, mine will have red spots for where the pain is Tongue

Haha, good idea. Wish I'd thought of it. Let me know when you make them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

footballcard
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012 04:28:22 PM »

Neat stuff.  They look really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gailavira
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012 05:32:10 AM »

Cute idea! There are so many medical conditions that effect millions of people, but no one gives them the attention they deserve because they aren't one of the more "glamorous" issues to be affiliated with. This is a great idea to bring more attention to it. Hope it works for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gailavira Jewelry Finished Jewelry and Wire Jewelry Tutorials
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012 06:15:39 AM »

I love the background to these earrings, it makes them that more special. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Fishtail Bun
How to Do a Milkmaid Plait
How to Do a Waterfall Plait
How to Do a Reverse French Plait
How to Thicken Thin Hair | Thinning Hair and Baldness
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...