A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help work out this scrub recipe, please..with added hedghog  (Read 1376 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 12, 2012 08:48:14 AM »

So my daughter has this amazing body scrub, it is gentle exfoliation leaving a layer of very moisturising coconuty 'stuff' that leaves my skin feeling softer than anything else has, and it smells great..

these are the ingredients  Angry  any ideas to help me make this more natural and less chemical-y

petrolatum, isopropyl palmitate, sucrose, hydrogenated castor oil, coconut oil, PEG-100Stearate, laureth-3, glyceryl stearate, silica, parfum, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, shea butter, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, coumarin, tocopherol, benzly bensoate, BHT, citric acid.

Ok so sucrose (regular sugar?..- is perhaps the scrub element.)
is castor oil necessary?
could I used cocobutter instead of shea butter.
silica (sand???)
parfum I can do without, i don't need me to smell of coconuts, its the smoothing and moisturising that I am after.
Tocopherol is vit E?? is it not, is it a preservative here?

are the stearates for foam?

and the petrolatum, the biggest ingredient, is this a kind of petroleum jelly? what else can I use?

as for the other ingredients, I am clueless?

thanks in advance clever soapy people.

on an unrelated note, I have a rescued hedgehog currently in residence in my battub, so no baths for me tonight...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012 08:50:09 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

erlyna
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012 12:34:19 PM »

Okay first... awww thats cute! You should post a pic of the hedghog Smiley

Now I'm no genius on this but I can say the castor oil is one of the ingredients you want to keep since it acts as a "humectant by attracting and retaining moisturity to the skin."

You can go with cocoa butter but it is different from shea. "Cocoa butter lays down a protective layer that holds moisturity to the skin, making it a good skin softner." Cocoa is also much harder and less stickier than shea butter, plus it smells delicious!

Instead of the petroleum I would probably go with olive oil as the base since..."olive oil attracts external moisture, holds the moisture close to the skin, and forms a breathable film to prevent loss of internal moisture." It also does not interfere with your skins natural functions. Just so you know shea butter also does not inhibit skins natural functions.

And I got my quotes from The Soapmakers Companion by Susan Miller Cavitch just so you know.

So I would look into recipes for body butters/scrubs on the tutorial link and maybe use olive oil, castor oil, cocoa butter and sugar. Someone more experienced will have to answer your other questions, because I have no idea what the gigantic scientific words are!

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012 11:18:37 AM »

erlyna thank you so much for that, that is good information to go on

Update on Mr Hissy McSpitty. he was a grumpy little fellow, anytime I went near him he hissed, grumbled and curled up, I delivered him to a vet that has a vet nurse that has a hedgehog rehab place in her house (How cool!) it seems that he was picked up by a dog and shaken, so they are treating him and he will probably be fine. Sadly I didn't get a pic, mostly because he was curled and hissy anytime I went near!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

letisha
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012 04:18:50 PM »

How sad!..hedgehogs are the cutest!...if I didn't have a mini dachshund I'd want a hedgehog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sporadic
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012 05:33:18 AM »

Here is an easy scrub recipe:  http://library.rusticescentuals.com/item_17/How-to-Make-Sugar-Cube-Scrubs.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012 12:19:18 AM »

Usually the chemicaley sciencey stuff is colors, perfumes, and mostly preservatives so it doesnt go moldy or seperate or anything like that while sitting in a warehouse for extended periods of time.

Some companies use a synthetic material for the abrasive in scrubs, kinda like tiny grains of plastic. The most gentle natural scrub abraisive is just plain ol sugar. Just mix it with your choice of moisturizers, which in that scrub would be the oils and shea butter.

Companies use petrolatum (which is kind of a type of petroleum jelly, its made from the same stuff just a different form of it) as a cheap way to make your skin feel soft. You really wanna stay from any petroleum or petrolatum or mineral oil products cuz what they do is kinda put a film on the surface of your skin that makes it feel soft but realy blocks any nutrients or anything from getting into your skin.

And the vitamin E is used as both a preservative and becasue its just really good for your skin.

I'm just spouting all this info from memory from my spa treatment classes, I dont have any of my books or notes on me so feel free to correct me if I've misspoken.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012 03:25:22 PM »

Have you tried making this yet edel?  I would definitely keep the castor oil in it as it is an extremely viscous, moisturizing type oil and I think would feel wonderful in a scrub. It's the "secret" ingredient in my lip balms and not that hard to find at drugstores and other places since it can be used as a laxative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012 02:27:33 AM »

haven't tried yet maremare...work has me in a death grip at the moment, so my crafting is zero..but easter holidays loom..and I might dust off my craft room and have a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kristen Stewart Makeup Look
How to Get the Perfect Brows for Your Face Shape
Best New Beauty Products for September 2013
Birchbox Sneak Peek: September 2013
Lucy Hale Makeup Tutorial: The Beauty Beat!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...