A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,902
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plus Swimming Suit Problems- Help!  (Read 1810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2012 09:43:31 PM »

So, even though its still winter here the stores are pulling out the swimsuits already and I need one this year.  I haven't bought a suit in about 10 years or so and I now remember why.  Basically, I am a big girl with a pretty small bust.  My size is around 26/28, but my bust is only a B cup (on a good day).  I've noticed to get swimwear in my size, the cups seem to START at a C size which looks crazy bad on me.  Last week I actually bought a suit which fit pretty well, except for the cups.  There was literally nothing in them, I could push them down flat to my chest.  Its totally embaressing.   Embarrassed  Needless to say, I returned the suit.  It was a 2pc, halter style tank top with all this ruching (sp?) that really did seem to slim my belly area a lot.  

So, I guess, my question is, does anyone here know of any options for me?  Is there anyway I  could alter a suit?  I don't have a ton of sewing experience, but I would be willing to learn.  It really seems like my bust needs underwires to keep everything where it should be, but I know suits don't typically have those.  Anyone have any tips?   I really don't want to spend another summer avoiding swimming (I love it so much) or going the oversized tee and mens shorts route (I did that at a lake last summer).  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012 06:03:34 AM »

Ok, hear me out here. Have you looked at suits designed for post-surgery mastectomy patients? I've never seen one up close but I feel like they might be able to accommodate your proportions. I have no idea who realistic that idea is, but it may be worth considering. Because let's be honest, anything is better than an oversized shirt and shorts.... Good luck with your mission!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012 11:21:14 AM »

I had never thought of that.   It is a consideration.   Thanks.   As long as its a swimsuit designed for a woman, I honestly don't mind.  Shirt and shorts just feels so mannish and considering I have been dealing with tons of hormonal issues most of my life, I want all the girlish I can get.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StitchWench
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012 07:38:15 PM »

I've always had good luck with Land's End. The categories on the side make it easy to see the suits in my size & I read the reviews which I can also sort.

Best wishes for your search. It can be a very dispiriting hunt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PeaceBlessingsandJoy
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012 10:24:41 PM »

This is my first time posting in this portion of Craftster and as a big girl I am ashamed that I didn't find this most awesome forum sooner. That out of the way...I think there is a possible solution for your particular problem..provided you are a bit flexible.

This year's trend seems to be the plus size bikini -- i've been waiting for this day to come, hooray! I saw an awesome blogger off of skorchmag.com who created her own bikini by using separates in different sizes (and different companies) to achieve the look that she wanted.

--> http://skorchmagazine.com/2012/05/ootd-the-plus-size-bikini-my-way-garnerstyle/

This seems to be a great way to solve the problem of being one size on bottom and one size on top ( i think MANY women have this problem, so take heart).

If you want to make a custom suit, zenaswimwear.com is a great place to start. The one downfall about this company is the lack of updated prints-- to me a lot of them seemed circa 1992 but the solids are awesome and if you are super picky you can buy swimsuit material in a print of your choosing and send it to them so your suit is fully customized!

You can have a custom made swim top and buy the bottom from any plus size clothing company (lane bryant, ashley stewart, torrid, etc) Even ebay can be a great source of swim bottoms that won't break a modest budget.

If you are a bathing betty on a budget like many of us are I would consider combining options from different companies.
For this you will have to be on the lookout early in the season or even BEFORE the season begins because I personally think swim tops with a smaller bust will be in high demand but short supply.

Lane bryant has come out with a collection of tankini and bikini tops that have underwire in them. At the moment the colorblock plunge bikini top is available in a B cup

http://www.lanebryant.com/swimwear/separates/colorblock-plunge-bra-bikini-top/19239c19244p142323/index.pro

You could combine that with any number of swim bottoms.

The most important part is not to give up. Wishing you best of luck!

Angie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012 07:31:53 AM »

Thanks for those suggestions!   I'm still looking.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stylish Celebrity Sisters
Kate Middleton: Style Evolution
Teen Choice Red-Carpet Hits and Misses
Lana Del Rey: Steal Her Style
Boyfriend Style Hijack!
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...