A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bottle caps  (Read 543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zendisney
« on: February 09, 2012 12:33:25 PM »

OK. I know I am late to the party... but I have developed an incredible urge to craft with bottle caps.
Let me explain. I am a Daisy Troop leader and I wanted to come up with a crafty activity that was cute and re usable.
In the true Girl Scout (GS) fasion...
I have been baking bottle caps in the oven with the embossing powder at 350 degrees... Sometimes they come out pretty and sometimes not so much. The ugly ones are bubbly and melt the stickers or what ever. (The ugle ones are gping to be re-purposed into magnets)  Are there any tips out there to make this craft better.
I want them to be cute so that my girls can SWAP them at our upcoming Mother/Daughter camp out.
Peace
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012 03:19:34 PM »

Have you considered filling them with resin and embedding interesting trinkets?

Best of luck on your project.

~CD~
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012 03:20:51 PM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.e tsy.com
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012 10:45:13 AM »

It sounds like what you're doing is pressing a sticker on the inside of the base of the bottlecap, then filling the bottlecap with clear embossing powder and baking to melt it, then using the finished bottlecap as what? if not as frig magnets...just for the girls to swap?

Anyway, you could be having several problems with the embossing powder and/or stickers... at least these:
...too much heat for the embossing powder (or oven not preheated, or has hot spots), which could cause it to bubble or darken
...air trapped around the edges of the stickers (or moisture) could be turning into bubbles
...material stickers are made from could be warping in that much heat, or stickers can warp since one side will shrink a bit with heat but the other side won't
...sticker colorants could be dissolving in embossing powder and bleeding and/or causing moisture/steam/bubbling

Baking the embossing powder and all the bottlecaps at the same time does save time, but you could let the girls melt the powder with embossing guns depending on how many girls you have.  Each bottlecap would take a short time and the process on each bottlecap could then be carefully watched and stopped if anything bad starts to happen (make sure the girls know to gently wave the gun around while heating so no area will overheat).

You could also use other clear coatings to pour into the caps, or brush on in a couple of coats if you have time. 
Epoxy resin is the most common thick coating in bottlecaps, but if you don't want the bother of using resin or its expense and setting time, you could use one of these things:

...2-part epoxy glue ("Devcon's 20 Ton," is one of the clearest, though not cheap)...the 2 parts would be extruded in small amounts on a tile or something and mixed together, then picked up with a toothpick/etc and dropped into the bottlecap...sets up fairly quickly compared to regular epoxy resins
...clear polyurethane (cheap) ...or clear acrylic fingernail polish (more expensive)
...**cyanoacrylate floor polish --Mop 'N Glo, or Pledge with "Future" Shine -- (cheap)
...acrylic mediums--probably gloss acrylic medium for this-- (medium-cost)
...dimensional white glues like Diamond Glaze, Crystal Lacquer, etc (expensive)
...plain permanent white glues (PVA, craft glue) perhaps thinned down with water, or ModPodge and other decoupage mediums ...may not be as totally clear as you'd like if in one thick pour though (pretty cheap)

All of the water-based materials (not the resins or epoxy glue) "dry," but will take different amounts of time.  Some will set up fairly quickly and could be taken home to finish drying if at least a little care is taken. 
The drying of some can be speeded up a bit in a low-heat oven (say less than 225-250 F or less), or even in front of a fan.
The water-based ones can also be colored with a bit of acrylic paint.

You might want to check out some of the info I have on making bottlecaps like this on this page of my site, and how the images (or stickers, etc) are prepared and adhered for best results:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/other_materials.htm (click on In Permanent Cells, under Epoxy>Casting then scroll down to the bottlecaps area)

And this page has more on the various kinds of clear "finishes" that are often used in arts and crafts, including the ones above:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm

** the floor polishes are fairly thin in consistency... they can be used as is, or will thicken up if left out overnight or in an open container for a couple of days

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012 10:48:31 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Handcrafted Cards Using Cookie Cutter Stencils
How to Make An Oversized Ironing Board
How to Use Preserved Roses
How to Use a Bouquet Holder
How to Make a Pillow and Blanket Set For the Car
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...