A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2 delicious butternut squash recipes - risotto and stuffed shells  (Read 578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annoyinglittlegirl
« on: February 09, 2012 02:43:22 AM »

I recently started a vegetarian cookery blog and wanted to share a couple of my recipes with you Smiley

I bought one butternut squash and got both of these tasty dinners out of it. Obviously if you only fancy one of these recipes, you could buy a smaller squash and just do one or the other, or you could make double portions of one of them.

Creamy butternut squash and sage risotto

I can't recommend this risotto enough. The squash tastes fantastic when roasted - slightly sweet. I like my risotto really creamy and cheesy, but if you prefer a slightly drier risotto, just reduce the quantity of cheese slightly.

Serves 3

2tbsp sunflower oil
400g butternut squash (approx. half a large squash), diced
1 handful sage, roughly chopped
25g butter
1 onion, diced
300g arborio rice
2 stock cubes, made up with approx. 1 litre of boiling water
100g cheddar cheese, grated

Heat the oven to 200C (Gas Mark 6 / 400F).

Lay the cubes of butternut squash and the chopped sage on a baking tray, and coat with the oil. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the squash is soft.

Meanwhile, melt half of the butter in a risotto pan or wok. Gently soften the onion for 5 minutes.

Add the remaining butter, and once it has melted, add the rice and stir until coated.

After a few more minutes, begin adding the stock a little at a time, only adding more when the rice has absorbed the previous amount. Continue adding stock and leaving it to be absorbed until the rice is al dente - you may need more or less than the litre suggested.

Once it is soft, remove the squash from the oven. Mash half of it a little with a fork, and mix it into the risotto, along with the grated cheese. Serve topped with the remaining chunks of roasted squash and sage.

Butternut squash and sage stuffed shells in cheesy sauce

Another cheesy recipe - it works so well, why change it?! Butternut squash and sage are a match made in heaven - a little sage really brings out the flavour of the squash. This is just like macaroni cheese, but with the added goodness of the squash, and a real punch of flavour from the sage.

Serves 2-3

400g butternut squash (around half a large squash)
3 cloves garlic
20g butter
1 small bunch of sage (around 6 large leaves)
200g conchiglioni (large pasta shells)
50g cheddar cheese, grated

For the sauce:
25g butter
3tbsp plain flour
200ml semi-skimmed milk
50g cheddar cheese, grated

Chop the unpeeled squash into a few large chunks, and boil for around 15 minutes, or until tender.

Meanwhile, boil the pasta shells according to the instructions on the packet, then drain and set aside.

Once cooked, drain the squash, and leave for a few minutes until cool enough to handle. Peel each chunk, and put in a blender with the garlic, 20g of butter and the sage. Blend until the mixture forms a smooth paste.

In a saucepan, melt 25g of butter, and stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes over a fairly low heat. Stir in the milk a little at a time, only adding more when the mixture is smooth and well combined. Add 50g of cheese, and once again stir until smooth.

Pour the cheese sauce into a suitably sized baking dish.

Heat the oven to 200C (Gas Mark 6 / 400F).

Stuff each pasta shell with a little of the butternut squash filling, and lay in rows in the dish on top of the cheese sauce. If there is any leftover filling, just dot it around the pasta.

Top with the remaining cheese, and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the edges of the shells are slightly crispy.

I hope you enjoy the recipes, and please check out my blog for more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com
Momof2!
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012 04:04:19 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing. These sound wonderful. I grew butternut for the first time last year. I picked them in November and the ones left still look just as good as the day I picked them. They are definitely a "plant again"  veggie. Can't wait to try the recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need peg people for my daughter. Personal swap anyone?
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012 09:56:31 AM »

those look great.
I think I will try them when I have company in a few weeks.
thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Love Graffiti
How to Draw Chibi Faces
How to Draw Skulls
How to Draw a Basic Manga Mouth
How to Do the Graffiti Letter D
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...