A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 305,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chainmaille Byzantine Bracelets  (Read 1439 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Helena Puck
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 08, 2012 09:16:29 AM »

I just started working on bracelets using the Byzantine fold. I'm really happy with how my two bracelets turned out. I really like the clasps because the coils are reinforced. I used the tutorial in Visual Quick Tips- Wire Jewelry.

I love using colorful enameled wire.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012 09:18:32 AM by Helena Puck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012 10:18:18 AM »

These are very pretty! so colorful.  Do you make your own clasps and rings? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helena Puck

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012 10:33:31 AM »

I purchase the jump loops that are coiled and cut by a friend of mine, but I do make the clasps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

PeachieClean
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012 01:59:35 PM »

Nice job getting the weave down, however, your closures are something of a problem.  There are lots of gaps and misaligned ends.  This is going to make the bracelet fall apart and scratchy.  When you're closing rings, take extra time to make sure the ends match up *exactly*.  If the cuts are good, you should have a hard time finding where the cut is if you've got a good closure. 

You have to be extra careful with EC (Enameled copper) because if your pliers slip, you squeeze too hard or bend too many times the enamel will weaken and be more likely to chip off, like in the blue clasp.  Anodized aluminum has similar problems.  If you use anodized niobium or titanium, you don't have to worry about this nearly as much.  The coating is quite strong.  Also, never give EC to someone who has copper allergies.  They may still break out from it because the enamel doesn't cover the cuts.

I suggest reading around http://mailleartisans.org/articles/ and welcome to the craft. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
Helena Puck

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012 04:13:05 PM »

Nice job getting the weave down, however, your closures are something of a problem.  There are lots of gaps and misaligned ends.  This is going to make the bracelet fall apart and scratchy.  When you're closing rings, take extra time to make sure the ends match up *exactly*.  If the cuts are good, you should have a hard time finding where the cut is if you've got a good closure. 

You have to be extra careful with EC (Enameled copper) because if your pliers slip, you squeeze too hard or bend too many times the enamel will weaken and be more likely to chip off, like in the blue clasp.  Anodized aluminum has similar problems.  If you use anodized niobium or titanium, you don't have to worry about this nearly as much.  The coating is quite strong.  Also, never give EC to someone who has copper allergies.  They may still break out from it because the enamel doesn't cover the cuts.

I suggest reading around http://mailleartisans.org/articles/ and welcome to the craft. =]

Thank you so much. Since I'm mostly learning from tutorials and chainmaille books, I never get any feedback so I really do appreciate your comments and the helpful links.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012 06:47:40 AM »

It is hard to learn just from the internet, I know because that's how I've learned.  I agree you don't get any feed back that way.  But I think that your pieces are very pretty!  You're definanetly on the right track.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
PeachieClean
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012 05:53:46 PM »

Yeah, I was lucky that I had my uncle around to get me started.  If you post in the MAIL forum, or http://www.theringlord.org/forum/ you'll typically be able to get some useful feedback.  There are some other forums that are chainmaille-specific but I'm not a part of those communities so I can't say how helpful they will be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
aliis
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012 06:40:07 AM »

This. Is. AWESOME.

I've been lurking on all sorts of mailles and wanting to try this for some time. Your colorful chains are super juicy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Road goes ever ever on...
julianapegas
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012 09:34:59 PM »

They are very pretty, I really like the contrast of the "old" technique with the "modern" colors. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeviantartPoupe GirlLast.fmRavelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Correctly Tuck In a Shirt
How To Wear Midi Skirts This Summer
Searching for the Perfect T-Shirt
How to Find the Perfect Pair of Jeans for Your Body Type
Bikini Battle 11: Serena Williams Vs Hilaria Baldwin
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...