A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,763
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk questions  (Read 1338 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darth_unicorn
Exar Kun

I find your lack of faith disturbing- Darth Vader

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2012 04:10:26 PM »

Hello everybody. I have recently become really interested in steam punk, and I have been looking at a lot of it online, and even bought some gears, but I feel so completely overwhelmed. I want to do something cool, but I really don't know of a good resource to even learn about it. Can anybody please tell me where they learned how to make steampunk jewelry, or perhaps direct me toward some good books or websites? Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find your lack of faith disturbing. -Darth Vader
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012 04:15:47 PM »

Are you looking for general steampunk projects or jewelry specifically? We could try moving this thread to the jewelry board if that's what you're looking for.

You can also try the 'view topics with tags' buttons on the right hand nav and select 'steampunk'. I'm sure you'd find tons of inspiring projects here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012 04:53:44 PM »

I see awesome, elaborate steampunk projects on line all the time, that I could never do in a million years! It can be overwhelming, can't it? But they are good for inspiration. I know there's a few craft books and a few jewelry books out there about steampunk crafting-no titles come to mind right off hand, but next time you're at the bookstore or library, browse the shelves. Steampunk is different things to different people. Some love elaborate Victorian fashions, some love nitty gritty grimy airship mechanics stuff. It can be elegance and gleaming brass and polished wood-or rusty metal and grunge.
There are tons of things all over the craftster boards, so that's one resource. I suggest taking whatever craft you enjoy doing, whatever it is, and start by adding a steampunk touch.
I have a hard time finding gears myself, doesn't help that I'm broke! But watches and clocks can be found cheaply at thrift stores, and if you go to the hardware store, ask for lock washers. They look just like gears!
Good luck and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
darth_unicorn
Exar Kun

I find your lack of faith disturbing- Darth Vader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012 06:08:23 PM »

Thanks guys! You're the coolest!!! I am looking to do jewelry and accessories. I think I can figure out how to do the clothing myself, but the accessories I feel like it would look like a child threw some gears and glue onto a pocket watch or something. Thank you for the advice though. I will look into all of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find your lack of faith disturbing. -Darth Vader
Circlesofstone
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012 04:19:03 PM »

Here are a few books to check out on Steampunk and jewelry:

Steampunk style jewelry

http://www.amazon.com/Steampunk-Style-Jewelry-Victorian-Mechanical/dp/1589234758/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329610430&sr=1-1

Steampunk Emporium

http://www.amazon.com/Steampunk-Emporium-Creating-Fantastical-Oddments/dp/1440308381/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329610430&sr=1-2

1000 Steampunk Creations

http://www.amazon.com/000-Steampunk-Creations-Neo-Victorian-Fashion/dp/1592536913/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329610430&sr=1-3

Metalwork Jewelry inspired by steampunk

http://www.amazon.com/Metalwork-Jewelry-Step---Step-Steampunk/dp/B006Z2YLXY/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329610430&sr=1-4

Steampunk polymer clay projects

http://www.amazon.com/Steampunkery-Polymer-Mixed-Media-Projects/dp/0980231469/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329610430&sr=1-5

Steampunk is fun and addictive. Enjoy!

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CandyForYourSkull
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012 07:28:36 PM »

just curious where you got your gears from? I;ve been looking because i also like steam punk but cant seem to find them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012 07:19:59 PM »

Most gears I end up using for anything I'm working on come out of transmissions. You can pick em up cheap from some junkyards and there are oh so many bits and pieces in there you can use in those.

If you decide you do want to do so, expect to get very greasy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
ILoveSGPL
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012 02:45:49 PM »

I envy anyone with sewing skills. It'd be cool if you could just buy stuff like that off the rack - but then again, that would mean more people would have it, so it would just be the norm and thus not cool. Wink Though I'd love to be able to dress up in costumes like that all the time and not get weird looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yizzimindi
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012 07:42:04 PM »

It really helps to get an idea of what kind of steampunk person you are, are you a mechanic, an adventurer, a librarian, or an aristocrat maybe? If you don't have an idea of this in your head your whole outfit can turn out really strange. A lace collar is a nice Victorian touch for a proper lady. You could embellish it with a cameo for a high end look, or for something more fun add gears or an airship! If you're more of a mechanic or ruffian type a leather necklace or cuff would look good, glue buckles and nail heads to make it look cooler. You could even have a go at making your own leather belt with pockets and straps to attach gadgets. For a lady I would suggest making a corset style waist cincher. If you don't feel like making one that complicated make it shorter, and add trimming for the look of the boning without the hassle of actually having to make it. I strongly suggest you add some good pockets in. Your standard zippered vinyl handbag isn't exactly Victorian era.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Three Simple Background - Photoshop
Adobe Photoshop CS4 - Software Review
How to Make a Fire Canvas Painting - Photoshop CS3
How to Make a Clashing Planets Scene - Adobe Photoshop Part 1/2
How to Make a Clashing Planets Scene - Adobe Photoshop Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...