A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learning to sew. First projects: dress, shorts and a skirt. (Picture fatty)  (Read 5027 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , shorts , skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purple_sense
Lurkey McLurkerson

I can have a dark side too!

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2012 02:24:34 PM »

Hello craftster!  It's been a long while, but I've decided to get back into making stuff.  I attended a sewing class from October-December last year where we had to make a "vintage inspired" dress.  So I used this pattern and fabric.  I'd have found the pattern really challenging if it wasn't for my tutor, she also found some of the directions tricky to follow.

I made size 16 (UK), and had to take it in at the sides.  I knew I would though, used that size in order to fit my largest measurement.

I put in pockets! Cheesy  Being able to put pockets in things is a large part of the reason I want to learn to sew.

It does hang a wee bit wonky, but its not really as noticeable in real life.

I lined it as well, which wasn't in the patterns.  This was my first zip.  It's not perfect, and I had to hand sew some of the seam allowance in which I hadn't managed to catch, but it looks pretty alright.

This skirt is possibly my real first project.  It's from a New Look pattern which I shortened substantially.  I started it at a sewing class I went to in 2004, maybe 2003, and failed to finish it.  My Mum's friend lined it and put in the zip for me.  I suck at finishing things on time, I was pretty far off finishing my dress when the class finished.

The lining is actually the bottom of a slip.  I couldn't find any short ones so cut up a long one, and the bottom was the perfect length to line this.  This photo shows the colour of the fabric better.  It has a pattern of wee swirls.

I wanted to prove to myself that I could actually sew before starting last years class.  I got a free Burdastyle pattern (sailor shorts with lips pocket by junespoon) and some fabric from my Mum's stash (she got it in Nigeria in the mid-late 70's).  The pattern was sized UK 10, and sometimes I'm a 12, so I added about a half inch to the seams which, of course, made them too big.  I fixed it by sewing further up the pockets, but to where the bottom button in. 

My back pocket!  It's kinda low down, but it's my first attempt at a pocket.  You can also see how I messed up my pattern cutting.  The paisley goes in a different direction on the front.

I put press studs at the top of the waistband, because it was folding over.  This also (pretty much) fixed the sizing problem I mentioned earlier.  The were hanging from the top button before, which was pretty lose and now they hang from the waistband.

So, let me know what you think.  Hope this post wasn't too long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012 03:43:17 PM »

What a lovely dress you've made!!  Looks great on you to  Grin The fabric suits the style, good choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012 04:03:01 PM »

That dress is so cute! And I love what you did with the shorts. That's impressive to have shorts be your first successful garment because pants can be a BITCH to fit. So yeah, you are trucking along just fine.

Don't worry about getting perfect zippers in, there are loads of helpful tutorials here and cut out and keep for great zipper placement, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
purple_sense
Lurkey McLurkerson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012 02:31:22 AM »

Thank you guys!  It's so nice to get positive comments from here since you all make such lovely things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hilarei
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012 05:34:08 AM »

ooooh! i love the dress pattern, and your fabric is perfect!  i also REALLY love your sailor button shorts!  great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012 06:11:50 AM »

I stinkin' LOVE those shorts! I love the contrast between the vibrant orange of the paisley (OMG LOVE vintage African fabrics) and the dark bias binding. I totally hadn't noticed the pattern going the "wrong" direction. I absolutely have to find that pattern on Burdastyle and try it. Especially as my other half was reading over my shoulder last night and snorted in disgust at the shorts. I think I shall make them in the amazing whale-print flannel I have in my stash, and wear them specifically to annoy him because I think they're fabulous Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purefairydust
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012 12:47:15 PM »

Those are very nice for beginner projects. I think the "charlie & willow" collection is a success. Why did I call it that? Well when a designer makes a mistake or error, it is called a designer detail because that makes the item very unique. Sometimes a mistake ends up being a signature style of a designer.  Grin May you have more fun in the future with your sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
purple_sense
Lurkey McLurkerson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012 02:01:04 PM »

hilarei:  Thanks, I loved the fabric too.  It was a bit more expensive that I'd been thinking of but I just couldn't resist.

charlieandwillow:  Let me know if you can't find the pattern, I have the pdf saved in my computer (which is why I didn't give the link, I didn't have the internet while I was making them).  You should totally make a pair to annoy your husband, and whale-print fabric sounds ace!

purefairydust:  Thanks, I always assume that my mistakes are more noticeable to me than to anyone else.  It's nice to think of them as being "unique details", if anyone points them out I'll tell them that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laura_alexandra
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012 09:38:37 AM »

I love your projects!, they look well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012 03:37:10 PM »

You did a great job on your projects! Much better work than most beginners! Keep it up! You'll only keep getting better and better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write a Poem Like Robert Burns
Why Warwick Was Called "The Kingmaker"
Dr. Charlotte Tomaino on Awakening the Brain
Jeff Kinney on His Book Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Molly Weiner Interviews Author Jennifer Weiner
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...