A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lemon Meringue AWESOME! (pic heavy, epic behind the scenes progress photos)  (Read 688 times)
Tags for this thread: pie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2012 08:03:39 AM »

so I stupidly asked my kid what kind of cake she wanted for her birthday. her answer? a number 6 shaped lemon meringue pie. SO...

yes. I am a martyr.

So, I began by trawling the internet for a cake tin in the shape of a 6. the problem being that the kind that gives a right-way-round number 6 cake when it's turned out, means it will be a wrong-way-round number 6 if it's pastry lined. I had begun by heading to the local cake decorator's shop where they hire out cake pans, but nope. they only had the reversed one so I ended up buying a pan. ok. it'll get used again when she's 9, and my dad is 60 in.. um... nearly a decade so it'll be used again...sometime. lol.

once it had arrived, been washed in warm soapy water and dried well, it was greased with our dairy free margarine. did I mention we're a lactose intollerant family so she needed it to be specially made? nope? there you go.

then came a patchwork of pre-rested pastry. the total amount came to nearly 1lb of flour and 1/2 lb of dairy free margarine.

and then came blind baking. nope. I didn't have enough baking beads, so I used all the pulses we had left in the house. I am now down 2 bags puy lentils and a bag of soup mix.

and yes, good quality Saran wrap is perfectly safe for oven use. once it was baked enough it was removed, checked for cracks, patched with left over pastry then baked for another little while. thn it was left, overnight in a cool place.

next day, I separated 6 eggs. put 5 of the yolks in a bowl, and all of the whites into my Kenwood Chef mixer bowl that had been thoroughly washed and rubbed out with lemon juice. as had the beater. I made the meringue in the normal fashion, 6 eggs, 12oz caster sugar. 6 oz in once eggs were beaten, the other 6 oz and some cornflour folded in carefully.

this was all beating away while I was heating the lemon filling. two jars of Tesco brand lemon curd (milk free, yay for cheaping out on ingredients there mr tesco!) and adding the yolks of the eggs. I only added five because I dropped one lol.
this was beaten by hand by a hairy man while I got on with checking out the meringue.

the lemon mixture when fully heated was poured into the pastry, then topped with the meringue. the man looked on, beamused, taking photos.

and then it was baked. again.
omfg.

finally, it was left on our coffee table very early in the morning, next to squidge's gifts so that the child would find it upon waking. it was a hit, though the pastry was a little tough. meh. you win some, you lose some lol.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012 09:10:02 AM »

You're a great mom, I'm sure she'll remember this forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rossie
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012 10:12:10 PM »

That is just fantastic Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With the Preferences in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Optimize the Settings in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Composite the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use Refine Edge Command in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...