A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art Deco Lamp " Flower Garden" Beaded Crocheted Shade With Mini Tutorial  (Read 7148 times)
Tags for this thread: lampshade , beaded  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2012 02:00:01 AM »

Here's my Finished lamp!!! I LOVE the way it turned out. I am going to really enjoy this next to my PC!
   The "sock" was crocheted. then I added 2 metal rings, also crocheted- with #10 Dark Green cotton-and a 2.75 steel hook.
   THEN, came all the beading! I used up a lot of precious beads, most people would save for jewelry. I don't really think the photos do it justice. Well, Here it is....

These are all glass beads,( A lot of them came from swaps!) except for the large flowers and shapes used on the fringe. Those are acrylic. I made everything, even the butterfly! The butterfly is x-stitch, and beaded. This lamp is about 18 inches tall, and lives on my desk.
  Thanks for checking it out! Karen
I AM NOW EDITING POST TO GIVE A QUICK TUTORIAL!
This was my Teaser Pic... showing the BEFORE and CROCHET Stages:

I first crocheted a tight covering row around a 2 inch Brass Ring salvaged from a purse. Then, I worked a loose pattern in a circle, increasing until it was the size of the glass across the top. At that point, I just worked Double Crochets evenly until I had the length I needed, and finished the last row in a CH. 5 scallop, all around.
   Then, I made a long, attached chained crochet cord to pull it tight & wove it thru the scallops for a drawstring. I stitched a bead as a button to tie it with, since the shade needed to be removable.
   Next, I used a 5.25 inch metal ring and crocheted over it in Single Crochet, pulling stitches close together.
NOW FOR THE HARD PART:
   I cut lots of even lengths of the same cotton yarn, by wrapping over a file folder longways. I left the pieces double length. Using 2 strands at a time, I anchored them in the crocheted open spaces below the top ring in 12 places, all around; and a second set in another 12 spaces. One set was loosely tied around the large ring to hold it in place, and adjusted to the level I wanted the shade to end. The other set of long threads were left hanging, and later beaded.  
   The actual beading was done with a Split-Wire needle, and a sharp craft needle to sew in place on the lower wire ring. I separated the strings and beaded in a somewhat even pattern, mixing it up as I felt the need. I later cut the extra strings that were first used to hold the lower ring in place, since they were not needed any more, and I saw no need to bead it any heavier. It was a little hard getting the "spokes even", and I had to adjust them as I went.
   Then, I stitched a row of large beads around the top of  the shade- (Mostly hidden now under the flowers, but a little color still shows through.) and made the lower fringe. I used a lot of large #5 or 6 seed beads, and everything larger I could. Around the top, I sewed some strands of beads in loops to get a little layering.
   The  acrylic flower shaped beads and dangles are from Hobby Lobby, sold in bulk. They are the kind with 2 holes on the edges. On the fringe, I glued them back-to back, since they were turning backwards facing out. That solved the problem!  Then, with wire, I attached a few glass leaves to the bottoms of the largest dangles. The wire helps keep them from coming apart later, too.
   Finally, I sewed some crocheted/beaded flowers and a butterfly I made on top. The butterfly is a patch I designed for cross-stitching, and it is finished with felt on the other side. There are stitched on acrylic stones, and small seed beads on it. You really can't see the detail very well in these photos.
And I BARELY FINISHED with 2 hours to spare!
Here's a photo of the top of the crocheted part before it was beaded:

Sorry the pic is a bit blurry! But, I think you get the idea!
 *This lamp does get hot, but so far it has not caught on fire! I will be buying a slightly lesser watt bulb next time I go shopping.
  Thanks so much for looking! Karen

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012 10:45:40 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012 01:56:03 PM »

;)Almost Finished!  I'll be posting the finished item in a few hours! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012 10:10:45 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked WOW!!!

stunning work on the lampshade  Grin it looks amazing and I just love the butterfly on the top. Perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012 10:19:47 PM »

Thanks, Kookie!  I really appreciate the WOWs!!! Some of my flowers went into this!  It is very happily next to me on my desk. This lamp is making me Feel Happy! And I almost scrapped the idea....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012 11:34:01 PM »

Super fun lamp - love all of the colors! It would make me happy too! I bet it looks fantastic with the light on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012 09:51:55 AM »

Thanks, DawnsTrees! It is really cool with the light on. Before the lamp was blinding on the desk, even with those small bulbs. Now, it is softly glowing, and the light shines thru the beads. I have a pole lamp if I need brightness, but most of the time a little is enough. The first 2 photos show it with the light on, the 3rd is with it off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emmagypsy
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012 10:48:28 AM »

i love this! so many colors and textures, it's pure happiness! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012 03:15:07 PM »

I had to pin this Karen, I love lights and I love your work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012 03:39:38 PM »

Oh, gosh now I'm blushing!  I'm so glad I finished it on time.... I almost gave up! It's right under the windowsill with all 8 of your framed inchies, LC!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darth_unicorn

I find your lack of faith disturbing- Darth Vader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012 04:20:08 PM »

gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find your lack of faith disturbing. -Darth Vader
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Large Smiley Flower
How to Crochet Jolene Sugarbaker Sweater Cuffs
Duct Tape Bracelets
Duct Tape Jack-O-Lantern
Duct Tape Cell Phone Cases
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...