Here's my Finished lamp!!! I LOVE the way it turned out. I am going to really enjoy this next to my PC!
The "sock" was crocheted. then I added 2 metal rings, also crocheted- with #10 Dark Green cotton-and a 2.75 steel hook.
THEN, came all the beading! I used up a lot of precious beads, most people would save for jewelry. I don't really think the photos do it justice. Well, Here it is....
These are all glass beads,( A lot of them came from swaps!) except for the large flowers and shapes used on the fringe. Those are acrylic. I made everything, even the butterfly! The butterfly is x-stitch, and beaded. This lamp is about 18 inches tall, and lives on my desk.
Thanks for checking it out! KarenI AM NOW EDITING POST TO GIVE A QUICK TUTORIAL!
This was my Teaser Pic... showing the BEFORE and CROCHET Stages:
I first crocheted a tight covering row around a 2 inch Brass Ring salvaged from a purse. Then, I worked a loose pattern in a circle, increasing until it was the size of the glass across the top. At that point, I just worked Double Crochets evenly until I had the length I needed, and finished the last row in a CH. 5 scallop, all around.
Then, I made a long, attached chained crochet cord to pull it tight & wove it thru the scallops for a drawstring. I stitched a bead as a button to tie it with, since the shade needed to be removable.
Next, I used a 5.25 inch metal ring and crocheted over it in Single Crochet, pulling stitches close together. NOW FOR THE HARD PART:
I cut lots of even lengths of the same cotton yarn, by wrapping over a file folder longways. I left the pieces double length. Using 2 strands at a time, I anchored them in the crocheted open spaces below the top ring in 12 places, all around; and a second set in another 12 spaces. One set was loosely tied around the large ring to hold it in place, and adjusted to the level I wanted the shade to end. The other set of long threads were left hanging, and later beaded.
The actual beading was done with a Split-Wire needle, and a sharp craft needle to sew in place on the lower wire ring. I separated the strings and beaded in a somewhat even pattern, mixing it up as I felt the need. I later cut the extra strings that were first used to hold the lower ring in place, since they were not needed any more, and I saw no need to bead it any heavier. It was a little hard getting the "spokes even", and I had to adjust them as I went.
Then, I stitched a row of large beads around the top of the shade- (Mostly hidden now under the flowers, but a little color still shows through.) and made the lower fringe. I used a lot of large #5 or 6 seed beads, and everything larger I could. Around the top, I sewed some strands of beads in loops to get a little layering.
The acrylic flower shaped beads and dangles are from Hobby Lobby, sold in bulk. They are the kind with 2 holes on the edges. On the fringe, I glued them back-to back, since they were turning backwards facing out. That solved the problem! Then, with wire, I attached a few glass leaves to the bottoms of the largest dangles. The wire helps keep them from coming apart later, too.
Finally, I sewed some crocheted/beaded flowers and a butterfly I made on top. The butterfly is a patch I designed for cross-stitching, and it is finished with felt on the other side. There are stitched on acrylic stones, and small seed beads on it. You really can't see the detail very well in these photos.And I BARELY FINISHED with 2 hours to spare!
Here's a photo of the top of the crocheted part before it was beaded:
Sorry the pic is a bit blurry! But, I think you get the idea!
*This lamp does get hot, but so far it has not caught on fire! I will be buying a slightly lesser watt bulb next time I go shopping. Thanks so much for looking! Karen