A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,167
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegetarians. What do YOU eat?  (Read 10850 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lolamako
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2006 11:09:10 PM »

TVP tip, dont stop after letting it soak( I actually boil mine in the broth) drain it then GRILL it with your favorite spices, like taco seasonings etc in a well seasoned cast iron skillet.

Tofu tip, wrap your tofu in napkins, then in a dish towel set between two plates and stack a can or two on top to press the tofu, let it press for a good 15 to 30 minutes. Change the napkins if needed.

Note on B12, if you are a vegetarian then you should not need a b12 supplement, it is in dairy. If you are vegan you can go MANY years without b12 your body needs VERY little and it stores extra, so you should have some left over from your vegetarian or omnivore days. Another source of B12 is red star nutritional yeast, 1 1/2 tablespoons provides you with WAAAY more than you need and a whopping 8g of protein(dont overdose on protein though)

One of the best books I have ever read is John Robbins "the food revolution"

My self and my husband happen to be vegan chefs at a Buddhist retreat center so I eat a lot. I can honestly say I eat better, and more variety of food then I ever ate as an omnivore. You just gotta learn how to cook.

One CHEAP easy, lazy night, dish:

Quinoa in the rice cooker with a veggie bullion cube, toasted sliced almonds(toast on the stove with a little earth balance butter or plain in the oven) and cranberries(dried). cook then stuff this into halved acorn squash, wrap in foil and bake.

My FAVORITE  recipe site:

Vegan / Vegetarian Recipes and More for the Vegan Diet and Lifestyle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeesaLove
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2006 09:27:57 AM »

Last night iwas invited to a freinds house & wanted to bring something to bunch on while we sat out o the deck.

I sliced corn on the cob inot little wheels abt 1 1/2 inches wide. Drizzeld with oilivew oil, salt & pepper & grilled them. OH my goodness wehre they tasty.  The adults ohhed & ahhed & the kid sloved them too.

Then I was in Toronto in the Indian secion on Girhard Street they grill corn on the cob then rub it with a slice of lime & sprinkle on a seasoning blend. This is INCREDIBLE i would love to figure out what is in that blend.
But i tihnk a little currty powder & some Tumeric would taste grat on the corn as well as some  nirtitail yeast too!!   Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2006 11:00:36 AM »

Note on B12, if you are a vegetarian then you should not need a b12 supplement, it is in dairy.
True, but you should check if you eat enough dairy products. If you eat something like one slice of cheese or 2dl yogurt a day, you should eat vitamine pills too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovecrafts11

my baby cousin hes so cute!!!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2006 05:42:47 PM »

heres what i eat
BREAKFAST: I eat oatmeal or cearial with soy milk
Snack: i like to eat fruit with peanut butter or plain fruit
lunch: i like to eat PB AND J or the nacho lunchable without the cheese just the salsa:)
dinner: stir frie with tomatoes, green beens, and the vegies,
and other stuff
some of you guys have some good meals in your head and i bet they taste so sosoosososossooos good
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like polymer clay
heini
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2006 11:17:03 AM »

Today I made vegetable temptation. I'm not sure what I should call it in English, but in Finnish foods like that are called temptations. Meat eaters often use ham or fish in them. This is my vegetarian version:

5 potatoes
2 onions
4 garlic cloves
3 carrots
1 parsnip
1 red bell pepper(?)
4 dl white beans
some green beans
about 2 dl boiled and chopped nettle (or spinach)
oil
(oat)cream
salt, pepper, herbs (basil, parsley, chervil, lovage), cayenne or whatever you want

Cut all vegetables into small sticks, about size of a match or little bigger. Stir fry them in oil for a while. Add spices. Then put them into oiled casserole dish (like the ones that are used in lasagna making) and pour some cream on them. The cream should almost cover the vegetables. If you want, you can use milk and cream together (about 2dl cream and 1dl milk). Bake the food in 200 Celsius degrees about 45 min. I ate it with black currant jam and zucchini-mustard salad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fcukluva
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2006 03:38:02 PM »

I've been a vegetarian for about 4 years now, so since I was about 12. Since I didn't eat that much meat anyway, I didn't really notice much of a change in my diet.
I usually don't eat breakfast [i know it's bad for me, but i can't stomach anything in the morning], usually just some water, but if i do eat it's toast.
Then for lunch, when I'm at school it's vegetable sandwiches [with just any vegetables in], and when I'm at home, usually a sandwich again but I toast it.
For dinner, I then have quiche, vegetable tart, pizza or salad with cheese, vegetables. Or rataouille [i can't spell], or pasta. Usual stuff really.
For snacks I like vegan muffins, chocolate, cake, junk food really Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2006 05:59:03 PM »

digitalkitten - my first recommendation to you (or anyone on a tight budget) is to start learning to cook! Some people think cooking at home is more expensive - money and time-wise, but actually, if you consider the time it takes to drive or travel to a restaurant, wait to be seated, decide what to order, wait for food to arrive, travel back home...cooking at home doesn't actually take TOO much longer, and you can save a bundle, AND by putting in an extra couple bucks of ingredients and another 10 or 15 minutes of cooking/prep time, you can make extras and leftovers are a great lunch solution. Did you know you can save over $120/month (each!) by bringing your own lunch to work? Money in the bank!

My bf and I spend about $280-$400/month on food (total, so $140-$200 each), and that includes our expensive tastes in luxury items: good chocolate, red wine, european cheeses, etc. All of which we have cut out of our diet, with no real loss, when we need to tighten the budget.

A great cookbook to get you started on cooking: The New American Diet. It's from the early-mid nineties. While it still has some meat-eater recipes, main dishes are all arranged based on what type of meat they have (or lack of meat), making it easy to pick and choose. This food isn't really exotic or exciting, but it has comfort-food flavor and can definitely be prepared on a budget. It's also, as I said, a good introduction to cooking and a healthier lifestyle in general. (ps: the recipes are at the back, if you don't want to read about the whole study.)

Next, start hitting up your local library for cookbooks! They're free to check out (it doesn't sound like you have $30 for a new cookbook), and you can copy down the recipes you like from it, and keep checking out new ones. Here are three of my stand-bys, plus a fourth for you adventurous cooks that might be reading:

Gordon Hammersley's Bistro Cooking at Home - not a veg. cookbook, but has lovely vegetarian options and even veggie side dishes that will serve two as a main dish. I have actually only made one or two of his meat dishes. Make the lentil soup, just cut the bacon, increas the carrots and herbes-de-provence. His harvest salad is to DIE for. I make it for company all the time. He also explains things in a very up-front, non-stuffy way. He's a god. Oh, and the lemon lavendar sugar cookies? YUM.

Fields of Greens. Second cookbook from the Greens Restaurant (apparently in the Bay area? ) I haven't seen their first cookbook, but I like this one a lot. The salads are excellent. THe pastas are kind of boring, however, I'd skip them. THe soups/curries are okay, too. Great for winter nights.

Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone boasts over 500 recipes. Most are fairly bland, unexciting. HOWEVER, she's organized them by ingredient, so you could definitely center them around what's available on the cheap in your local farmer's markets or grocery store.

Finally, for you adventurous cooks, not daunted by long ingredients lists or fancy presentation, and want to make the most amazing vegan food ever, check out "The Artful Vegan." Do it! Those recipes are INSANE! I've only made a few, but wow! sheer genius! THey are OUTSTANDING flavour combinations, and you can definitely pick and choose elements that you'd like to use for other things. If - like me - you're daunted at first, start with one of the pastas. They're a bit simpler.

Other recommendations: start shopping local farmer's markets, if you can. Some ingredients will be more expensive. Most will actually be cheaper than the grocery store. Take advantage of this. Your food will also taste tons better with fresh local produce, and it's very fun (IMHO) to eat seasonally. Also, dry beans and grains are CHEAP, especially if you buy in bulk. When money's tight, I plan our weekly menu to include one or two meals centered around dry grains or legumes. You'd be amazed at how cheap it can get - my bf and I had a whole summer when we lived by a farmer's market where we spent only $35/week on food (total!) and lived like kings.

Don't rely on pre-packaged soy products. Yes, they are fantastic, but remember: moderation. Your diet should have variation, and many of those products are really high in sodium, so you don't want to eat a lot of them, anyway. That said, gardenburger's veggie riblets are BOMB. Seriously, that bbq sauce? MMM! But again, like 40% of your daily sodium intake in one fell swoop. Save for special occasions. Oh, if you are shopping for veg lunch meats, also consider field roast - they are "meats" made from grains and vegetables. I like their Wild Mushroom lunch slices. I also really love their apple/sage sausages.

Here are some of my stand-by's for good eating on the cheap: I'm an on-the-go girl, so my breakfasts are pretty much a cereal bar and a mug of tea (don't pay $3.00 at starbucks, get a travel mug and bring yer own!). I might add a piece of fruit or a cup of yogurt (dairy or cultured soy) to supplement if I anticipate it being a "hungry day." Lunch is usually a small portion of last night's meal, supplemented with some sort of veggie to help get my vitamins in - a small salad (I get prepackaged tubs of baby greens salads, make my own dressing and bring it in a separate container), carrot sticks, etc. and maybe a piece of fruit. Snacks during the day are usually something I can munch quickly - carrot sticks, a piece of fruit, a couple small slices of cheese, kavli or rykrisp (fiber!) and an individual portion of applesauce to slather on it, a portion of trail mix or dried fruit. I'm also fond of using energy bars as a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, though I know they have a lot of sugar, so I try to limit those. I also keep quart-boxes of tomato soup in the pantry, so I can always throw together a quick lunch of soup with a slice of bread and a side salad, if I'm out of other options.

Another random combo that I really love: a tablespoon or two of chevre or other smooth, sharp goat cheese (not as expensive as you'd think!) slathered on a slice of dark pumpernickel rye. It's REALLY good, and packs well. I might add sprouts or lettuce, if I have it, or eat with a salad for a snack or meal.

During the summer, I grow my own tomatoes in pots, so i can always throw together a quick lunch of chopped fresh tomatoes drizzled with a little olive oil and vinegar (balsamic or sherry - if you're feeling lux) with salt and pepper to taste. I'll pack some greens to eat it with, and a slice of bread. Quick and free!

Hope that helps get you thinking. My cookbooks are all packed up right now (I'm about to move to California for school), but if you'd like some vegetarian or vegan recipes, post or PM me, and I'd be happy to put some of my faves up in another 10 days or so (eek! so soon! hurray!)

happy noshing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
rhiandmoi
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2006 08:55:35 PM »

I am not a vegetarian, but I like to go meatless a few meals a week. I just discovered a really yummy vegetarian (but not vegan) food base. I take warm brown rice and ricotta cheese and mix them together. This binds together very well, and is quite yummy all alone. But you can mix in some sauteed veggies, form them into balls or patties roll in breadcrumbs and pan fry. You can mix in chopped green chilis, chili powder, and black beans or pinto beans and use it as an enchilada filling. You can even mix in some sugar or honey, some milk and some dried fruit and scoop it into muffin tins and bake like 15 mins for a sort of brown rice fruit kugel. Kugel normally has eggs to make it custardy, so if you are okay with eggs you could stir in one or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2006 06:16:51 AM »

I went veg. about two years ago, and I had trouble finding food ideas.  Now, I go to these websites:

1.  http://www.fatfree.com/
2.  http://www.vegweb.com/

The first website (above) features recipes which correspond to low-fat, low-cholesterol vegetarian diets, but some of their recipes are really good, and you can submit your own.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jaravey
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2006 02:15:54 PM »

I'm more like a vegetarian wanna-be, since I still eat seafood... but I don't eat any other meat, so most of my meals are meat free.

My saving grace with the whole life without meat thing has been a Japanese rice seasoning, called Furikake. I'm from a small town too, so we buy it on our trips to the bigger city. Its simply seaweed, riceballs, sugar, and salt. It's wonderfull on rice and pasta, which are the base of most of my meals. It tastes similar to sushi, so if you like sushi, then you may want to look into it.

Other than rice and pasta, I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, cereal, tofu dogs, garden burgers, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Talk About The Adventures of Meno Series
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
John Lithgow Sings from I Got Two Dogs
Novelist Rachel Kushner Reveals Her Best Quality
Meet Author Joe Kanon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pallet Shelf
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...