A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: If I Did...  (Read 849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 06, 2012 01:02:53 AM »

Here's a little something I stitched up as a birthday gift for my awesome partner at work!

"If I did I don't remember!"  Is a long running joke within her family regarding someone forgetting if they picked up a large chest freezer.  So whenever something comes up and no one can remember if they did it or not we say, "If I did I don't remember!"  and end up laughing like mad. 

It shows up sort of funky in the picture, but it's stitched with mostly DMC metallic (Light Effect) flosses, and one of the old discontinued rayon colors.  Plus the middle question mark on each side of the border is stitched with beads.

I can't seem to get a good picture of all of the colors, but it's super sparkly, and all in shades of purples (even the beads are a transparent sky blue with purple centers) since purple is her favorite color.

I hope she likes it!   Grin

It's just mounted on some of that sticky board.  That way if she wants to keep it in the work van I can just add magnetic tape to the back and it will stick to the metal rack behind our seats where we can see it!

It was so nice to design and stitch something in just one weekend.  I have way too many ongoing large things that keep getting put aside.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012 01:09:20 AM by Listessa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
bunny1kenobi

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012 05:48:12 AM »

Very pretty and thoughtful!  I'm sure she'll love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chellum
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012 12:36:36 PM »

Ha! I love it!
It would be very fitting for my household!!
And the colours are so pretty : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012 12:45:10 AM »

Thanks! 

She LOVED it, and now it has magnets on the back and is riding around in the work van with us.  Very, very fitting...

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Witty_Child

I do hope that's all, you witty child.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012 06:44:14 PM »

Haha.  Love it!  That's one of my mother's favourite lines...  (Along with: "I don't remember forgetting!")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a brand spankin' new blog!  http://wittychild.wordpress.com/
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012 02:42:45 PM »

So great! How was it stitching with the DMC Light Effect?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012 01:18:04 AM »

So great! How was it stitching with the DMC Light Effect?

Not half as bad as I was prepared for!  Smiley  I made sure to run it through some Thread Heaven and used fairly small pieces (8-10 inches or so) at a time.  I think the small areas made that part easier too.  I usually prefer longer lines when I stitch, so the small areas made sure I didn't stray into that with something prone to tangles and kinking. 

I found you do end up with a lot more waste than regular cotton DMC.  The metallic stuff likes to kink towards the end where the needle rubs and really likes to try and get uneven. 
Anchoring the tails was a bit of a pain too, since they seem to like to try and creep back out.  Especially on the single squares at the bottom of the question marks.  I didn't want to use a run to connect them, since the background was so light the dark purple really showed through.  I ended up just gluing the heck out of the anchored tails with Fray Check.  Plus the pressure sensitive adhesive mounting backer helped keep it all stuck! 

I was really worried about issues, and haven't really used many of my Light Effects before (mostly after reading the horror stories).  I was really glad I finally got brave and worked with it.  It looks so awesome stitched up, and didn't live up to my fears!

Thanks for all of the nice comments.  Smiley   Everyone at work got a huge kick out of it- Betty has been bringing it around and showing our coworkers too.  It's a lot of fun to know she likes it that much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Tomoki Sakurai
How to Draw Tinkerbell
How to Draw Thrasher
How to Draw Taz
How to Draw Tarzan
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...