A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Welcome to the UK! (gift pack)  (Read 2003 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

witchybelle4u2
I am the terror that flaps in the night...

"I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 22, 2005 03:06:06 AM »

Hi all. I'm an American living in Wales. (I've been here two years.) Well, I just found out one of my friends from the States is going to be studying in England for a semester come Sept. I'm so excited!  What I want to do is make her a "Welcome to the UK!" gift pack. Now, she's going to be coming straight from America so she's not gonna be missing her fav foods and stuff right away. And I wouldn't be able to get them myself being in Wales! So what can I include??? I've gotten a couple of ideas from some of the other posts including things like:

a map
travel blog
slang dictionary
and vouchers

I also thought it would be an idea to make a sort of "guide to shopping in the uk" including which stores are which and where to find stuff. Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve these ideas and what else I can do? She'll be here for about four months and will be visiting Wales while she's here as well. What do you think? Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
witchybelle4u2
I am the terror that flaps in the night...

"I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005 03:10:05 AM »

*smacks head* I almost forgot. I was thinking of a sort of "Everything you need to know about Living in the UK" sort of book or something. What do you think about that and what could I include?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
TravelBel
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005 07:53:05 AM »

What about a list of phone numbers she may need (pharmacy, food, etc.)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005 08:23:17 AM »

Anything that you had trouble with when you first moved there.  How to deal with public transportation, the health care system, if there's anything odd about shopping.
For example, I'm an American living in Canada, and the grocery stores here aren't nearly as comprenhensive in non-grocery items as they are in the States, so if I were putting something together, I'd mention that if you're looking for cleaning supplies, you'll find a better selection at store X than store Y.  And I'd definitely explain the whole milk-in-bags phenomenon.  Here in Ontario, there's a phone number you can call for health questions (dial a nurse or something) so if you have something like that, that would be great. 

And how about a list, or actual examples of, neat things you can get in UK that you can't in the States?  Your favorite Cadbury candy bars or McVities biscuits or something.  Sort of 'things you must try'. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005 08:30:23 AM »

A giant union jack, and some mystical initiation ceremony including english ale and a roast dinner  Grin

Yeah, perhaps a delia extract of cooking the perfact roast dinner

By the way, be careful of slang dictionarys. They're sometimes very wrong. I once read one that said 'to get knocked up' meant to be woken up lmao. I'd love to see someone use that with their english parents in law - 'yeah, so then next morning I knocked my daughter up' rofl
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005 08:47:54 AM by Fee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Tuesday
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005 08:42:51 AM »

Could do a mix-tape/ cd- best of British music? Maybe not just the old 'classics' like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, but some more modern stuff. Check out www.nme.com for modern British music. Could add some Welsh music too: Stereophonics, Super Furry Animals, Funeral for a friend, Manic Street Preachers... you may want to avoid Charlotte Church and Tom Jones though  Undecided

OH! If you're in the Uk over the summer, go to a music festival, bit late for Glasto now, maybe Reading/ Leeds.

Ooh, ale in the sunshine, good call. I think the initiation ceremony should also involve marmite and toast eating... ho ho. (I'm sure that only British people (occasionally Australians too) eat it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- What do vegan zombies eat?
- Graaaaains!
blueblythe
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005 08:55:47 AM »

Im English and living in Canada and the things I definitely miss most about England are Boost chocolate bars and nik naks and space invaders crisps. Canadians are always baffled when i tell them the different flavours of crisps they have in England so you should definitely include some strange ones in her gift like branstons lamb and mint or ham and mustard! and H& M is a must for shopping, I miss it so much, if only they had online shopping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fee
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005 08:59:57 AM »

Im English and living in Canada and the things I definitely miss most about England are Boost chocolate bars and nik naks and space invaders crisps. Canadians are always baffled when i tell them the different flavours of crisps they have in England so you should definitely include some strange ones in her gift like branstons lamb and mint or ham and mustard! and H& M is a must for shopping, I miss it so much, if only they had online shopping.

Yeah good point, and I've heard that even though we have the same brands, some things especially sweets are meant to taste very differently, like mars bars... And do they have nobby's nuts in america?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corduroy cat
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005 09:03:34 AM »

teehee nobby's nuts rock! nope they don't have em in the states. i'm american and been living in uk for about 2 years. definitely should tell her that places like john lewis have crafting/sewing stuff, cause i'd have never thought to look in a dept. store! also let her in on the squash phenomena, i can't get enough lemon squash!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
terin
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005 09:06:18 AM »

First of all... no marmite.  You want her to stay in England, right?  Maybe you wouldn't need a comprehensive slang dictionary, but at least the essentials.  (Example: saying 'p' for pence.)  The phrases that seem too obvious to include, such as 'cheers' (I was confused why people kept saying this to me when I clearly was not drinking.) and 'queue up' (sp?) may be the most helpful at first. Also, if you know what she's into (music, theater, etc.), it would be very cool of you to search the net or newspapers & magazines for a minute and find out what might be going on in her city while she's there and throw together a little travel pamphlet highlighting her 'can't miss' events.  Hmmm...also, include some advice (or your own experiences) on places to go for daytrips and weekend getaways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Face Cleansing Wipes
Luxury Summer Makeup at a Price You Can Afford
A Look Inside the NewBeauty TestTube for Summer-Fall 2013
Add Ginger to Your Beauty Routine
The Correct Way to Apply Your Foundation
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...