A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Welcome to the UK! (gift pack)  (Read 1999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

corduroy cat
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005 09:31:52 AM »

ooh! just remembered an important greeting used here... you alright? it just means hello, but when i first got here i kept thinking i looked sick or somehing cause everyone kept asking if i was alright, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
witchybelle4u2
I am the terror that flaps in the night...

"I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005 02:55:42 AM »

OMG! So many great ideas! Thanks. I started making a list of things that she's gotta try already. I'm gonna start a shopping guide as well soon. I think I'll add how expensive each store is. Rate it with pound signs or something...hmmm. I'm toying with the idea of a "If you like _____, You'll love _____" thing. Like, "If you like Hershey's, You'll love Cadbury." Could be fun. (They didn't have Nobby's Nuts in America when I left!) Lion bars...Omg, I couldn't live without Lion bars...

Initiation ceremony? Oh, I can definitely get my husband and mates in on that one...

Lol at the slang dictionary as well. I would never get out of bed if I had to get "knocked up" every morning! Definately the essentials, at least. I'm hoping to incorporate everything into one major guide with different sections. Hopefully, it'll work out that way. *fingers crossed*

I'm thinking of making her a tee shirt that says, "Please speak slowly, I'm American!" because the biggest thing I had trouble with was understanding people when they spoke to me! (Of course, I am in Wales, Lol.) Of course, the tee shirt could also be a bit of a joke for the locals since they mostly seem to think that we're all a bit dim. Lol.

I'm not really up on British music, I have to admit so that one would be a bit difficult for me.  Undecided

John Lewis has craft stuff??? Why didn't I know that!?!? I thought the only option around me was Hobbycraft.  Shocked *smacks head*

I wonder if I could get her to bring REAL Smarties for me? Lol. (And Cap'n Crunch and concentrated grape juice. Funny the things you miss. Lol.)

Thanks so much everyone for the great ideas!! You've given me so much to work with!  Grin (I'm glad she's not gonna be here for a couple of months, this could take awhile!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005 02:06:27 AM »

I wonder if I could get her to bring REAL Smarties for me? Lol. (And Cap'n Crunch and concentrated grape juice. Funny the things you miss. Lol.)

hahaha. i used to work in this british/scottish store, and people would come in asking for smarties. (i guess they were banned in the US, but i don't know) At first i was SOOOOO confused. I was thinking that nasty sugary candy you get for halloween every year. Then I saw what they were talking about.

You could include tips on the foods, drinks and restaurants that are good over there, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
radishdiva
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005 07:19:06 AM »

you MUST include marmite it is the food of the gods!!! (well definiatly the veggie/vegan ones)i live on that stuff. were abouts is she going to be based?
i like the t-shirt idea im sure that would go down really well,and people will know shes not really that dense!
i would definatley do a top ten markets to visit in london you could even rate them like portobella = expensive but cool handmade stuff
camden = cheezey but fun
spittalfields good on the right day =lots of craft/art local stuff but dead animals on other days kind of thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EVERYONES WELCOME AT......
www.hauntedhousewiv.free-forums.org
fero
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005 10:42:39 AM »

A "this way out" sign pointing back home!

On the "knocked up" point round where I live (west midlands) it does mean to get someone up, was only when I went to uni that I thought about it more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahxcore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005 02:51:44 PM »

And I'd definitely explain the whole milk-in-bags phenomenon. 

we have milk in bags? is this new to anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shortie
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005 04:59:28 PM »

milk in bags? whats that? do we have milk in bags??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.parsy.etsy.com --- please look in my etsy shop :-)
witchybelle4u2
I am the terror that flaps in the night...

"I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005 01:18:18 AM »

i would definatley do a top ten markets to visit in london

I've never been to any of the markets in London so I wouldn't have a clue what to do! Sad

A "this way out" sign pointing back home!

Lol! I like that!

I don't remember ever seeing milk in bags but then I am sort of clueless sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
radishdiva
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006 01:32:54 PM »

so how did it go??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EVERYONES WELCOME AT......
www.hauntedhousewiv.free-forums.org
Toxicbex
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006 08:38:13 PM »

If she's never lived in the UK before, she'll need a highway code book. Even if she doesn't plan on driving Tongue. Wouldn't want her to get run over Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty to Be Thankful For
The 5 Best Beauty Tools to Gift This Year
All Natural Beauty Tips Using Items Found In Your Kitchen
Plus-Size Model Stuns In Robyn Lawley Swimwear
Best Acne Treatment Products
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...