A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,948
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Follow me on my sewing Journey!  (Read 476 times)
Tags for this thread: prom , fashion_show , mermaid_gown  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Xcatface
« on: February 05, 2012 01:07:36 PM »

First and foremost. I don't know if this belongs in the section so I'm sorry if it doesn't.
Now to the good stuff...
I just got news from my mom that My grandmother's friend's church is hosting a fashion show!of course I was like I have to do this sign me up. This dress would also be put to use because my friend asked me to his prom in June (He's a year under me. I graduated last year) Then I heard that the contest was in march and my jaw dropped. Basically I have a month or so to make this dress. Luckily I already had some ideas stashed and chose this mermaid number.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/284543_05Feb12_dress.jpg
It'll probably get changed some along the way for times sake.
On another note, A week ago I had order some fabric swatches from onlinefabricstore.net I order honey charmeuse satin and matte red (peau de soie). I got them a week later.
Here they are:
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/284543_05Feb12_Swatches.jpg
I like the colors together as I think the honey nude color brings out the red. The red isn't as shiny as I thought it would be so I plan on going to Joann's tomorrow and getting a yard from their casa collection. I'm going to use the red to make a sash that ties under the bust and the rest to make the ribbon that laces up the back. The dots you see on the dress I had plan on use red rhinestones but now I am going to use the lace from my mother's wedding dress. I plan on dying that red. Since most of the lace appliques were lined with pearls and sequins I'll use red rhinestones. I found a pack of 500 for $3.00 on etsy! Not sure if I'll use sequins. We'll see when the time comes.

I think I've covered all the basics. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll post a list of the supplies and their cost incase you wanted to make one too.

Check out later this week as I make the pattern for the dress.

Edit: Supplies list.

Mannequin (I own a petite size mannequin. Got it for my birthday but it normally cost $110 for it on overstock.com)

Poster board(or newsprint) This is for making the pattern. Poster board you can get a 3 for $2 at most dollar stores. Or a pack of newsprint (24"x36") from an art supplies store for about $20 or so. I prefer poster board since it's sturdier.

Nude fabric(2 yards)if you buy the one I'm buying it's $4.45 a yard (quite the bargain).

Choice of color for accent(1 yard) Mines is red but light blue, black, and blue violet would also go with it.

Lining-(1.5 yd) You can get cheap lining at joanns for $3.00 a yd

Lace appliques. you can find tons for cheap on etsy. I recommend MarynotMartha. I deconstructed mine from the wedding dress. So anyone who has an old wedding dress will be fine. You can also go to a thrift store and find an old one. There are a few bridal lots on etsy and you can deconstruct those. To buy appliques I estimate it will cost $50+ depending on how much lace you want.

Tulle(7 yards+ $6.95) The bottom of my skirt is going to be beige colored tulle. I got the hem circumference by taking to of my measuring tapes and making a circle with them. Then I stepped inside to see if I thought the hem would be too big so I kept messing around with it until it looked right. My hem will be 101 inches. I measured where I was standing in circle to the edge (14.5 inches) then the height from under my butt to the floor(in heels 32 inches) Do the pythagorean theorem and got 36. Chances are that you are taller then me(I'm only 5ft) so what you can do is gather in sections across the 36 and cut where for how long you need it. I'm ordering mine from fabric.com where its 99ct a yard for the 54 in and 1.98 for the 108.

Eyelets(Depends on how you space them 20-50) I'm actually going to be doing fabric loops but I can show you how to do eyelets if you ask. Joanns sells 100 eyelets for 4.99.

invisible zipper(12-14 inch) $2.45 fabric.com. same color as the nude fabric. The length of the zipper actually depends on your butt. If you have a curvier butt you'll need a longer zipper. Measure right at your lower back to under your butt to be sure.

Rhinestones sequins or pearls- It really varies depending on where you buy and how much you use.

Dye- A bottle of rit dye to dye the appliques. $3.99 at joanns. Theres a dye chart on the rit website.

Essentials:
Scissors, pinking shears, thread to match colors, needles appropriate for fabric.

One last thing, If you are using a stretch satin fabric you are gonna need a stretch lining. They tend to be slippery so you can use a temporary adhesive from fabric.com to baste it together while you sew. The honey charmeuse I got wasn't actually that stretchy so I'll be using a regular lining. If you order a lighter or dark shade of nude I dont know how stretchy it'll be.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012 07:20:37 PM by Xcatface » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nutritious Food for Fabulous Hair
How to Get Loose Curls with a Flat Iron
Home Remedies For Hair
Modelinia Fashion Week TV Swim Edition: Episode 1
How to Style Your Hair Like a Movie Star
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...