A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thread Size  (Read 428 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

warpedhooker
« on: February 05, 2012 09:18:32 AM »

How does a #10 bedspread weight crochet thread compare to weaving thread,ie an 8/4 rug warp?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimadagem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012 02:48:28 PM »

I'm not sure if you're asking about thickness (to decide what size hook to use) or quantity (to decide how much you'd need for a particular project). But anyway -

I wasn't too familiar with weaving thread sizes so I just did a quick search for that term. I found this page:
http://weavolution.com/group/home-built-equipment/weaving-thread-sizes-19960

It gives several differing explanations but it looks like one of the numbers refers to the number of plies while the other seems to depend on the fiber the yarn is spun from; if that's true then the thickness *and* the quantity (yards/pound) could vary with the fiber. Crochet thread sizes, on the other hand, are (as far I know) fairly standardized for thickness, with higher numbers being thinner; for example, a size 10 thread - a fairly standard size - would be thicker than a size 20. And with most crochet thread being made from cotton you'd probably get the same yards/pound too.

The other issue is that numbering systems aren't standardized around the world, which makes things even more complicated. If you're trying to determine thickness and you have both kinds of thread you could wrap them around a ruler to get the ends per inch, then compare the two; if your weaving thread, for example, is the same thickness as size 10 crochet thread you could use the recommended hook size for that crochet thread. The page below has general guidelines for hook sizes to use with different sizes of crochet thread:
http://crochet.about.com/library/blthreadhook.htm

If you're trying to determine quantity then I think a McMorran balance tool would work best to figure the yards/pound.

I'm sorry if this is confusing; I was having to guess what you were comparing. Maybe someone else here will have a better explanation.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
warpedhooker
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012 04:07:21 PM »

Hi Meg, thanks for the response.  Mostly what I was thinking about is that I have a lot of 8/4 rug warp in all different colors.   I like to do doilies in #10 and wondered if they'd work up the same in rug warp.  I never thought about putting some of the #10 in my balance to compare, I think I'll give that a try, along with the ruler wrap and see what it looks like.

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Taylor Swift Look
How to Dress Appropriately for a Job Interview
How to Get the Kim Kardashian Look
FIRST LOOK: Alexander Wang – NYFW Spring 2014
4 Must-Do Trends For Homecoming Dresses
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...