A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Scarf and A Blasted Ladder Stitch  (Read 1699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FibroSub
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012 11:49:52 AM »

Peh, now I am confused. Just to clarify, to SC you put the hook in the second chain from the hook, not including the loop that is on it?

What I was doing originally was not counting the turning chain as a stitch but doing 2 SC then proceeding with the pattern. Now I tried counting the turning chain as a stitch and I got closer, I was 1 SC away from completing the row, but alas, there was no room unless i doubled up into the last stitch. I was going to try putting the hook in the first chain from the loop but that looked like a horrid knot and I abandoned the idea. I'm feeling a swirling mixture of dumb and confused. Surely it can't be this hard. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012 07:51:24 AM »

(hugs) Fun, isn't it?  Wink  I am the same way with knitting.  I have only completed one project (a wash cloth), and one row took me about 20 minutes.  I have to think about every single thing I do, and I can't always get the needles in the stitches right.  So frustrating, but I'm dying to do a  pair of mittens, so maybe if I stick with it I'll have a pair by 2020.  Roll Eyes

I have been crocheting for over 20 years, and I still have to rip out on occasion.  It doesn't make you bad or dumb, just human.  Sometimes the pattern is confusing or wrong, and sometimes I just screw up.  I have a feeling that if you had someone right there it wouldn't seem so confusing.  I was lucky enough that my mom taught me while I still lived at home, so I always had someone to ask if I got stuck.  I have some running to do, but I will take some more pics for you later.  In the meantime, check to make sure your base row has the correct amount of stitches.  (32?  34?  I can't remember, and I can't see it now.)  If that number isn't right it will cause you problems in the next row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
FibroSub
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012 02:20:23 PM »

allll right, now i'm very close to the edge and may flip. I contacted lion brand again. this is what I got:
You should only have 7 gaps. The stitch count should work out correctly for you, though  -- the turning chain does count as a stitch, and you should have, including the turning chain, 32 stitches. You use 2 stitches at the beginning, then work 7 repeats (which use 4 stitches each), then end with the final 2 stitches: 2 + (7 * 4) + 2 = 2 + 28 + 2 = 32. Note that you actually end with 4 scs in a row.

I go, huh,  thats odd. Eamea's looked perfect. So I go at it again. I count.

................... ................... .

EIGHT FRACKING GAPS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eamea
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012 06:41:36 PM »

Welllllllllllllll, it appears I should take my own advice.  Roll Eyes I took a look at the original photos and realized there were 34 stitches.  Eek!  I was getting a base row to put the ladder stitch into, and I think I just read the first line of 34.  Um, yeah.  If I had continued to read I would have noticed that the next row is HDCs to end with 32 stitches.  I am so sorry!!

Hopefully this post will make it up to you.  I have done the paranoid quadruple check of stitches - 32!  Here is the first row of the ladder stitch.  The pattern ends with 2 SC, and you should have two stitches left.  Do a SC in each of them, and your row ends with 4 SC.

Here is a super close shot of the end of the first ladder row...

and with the ch 1 added.

To start the next row, go into the next stitch to the left of the hook (marked in green)

I was wrong before; the pattern doesn't stack on top of itself but staggers instead.  In other words, on the next row you will SC into the chain stitches of the previous row rather than the SC.

I hope this helps, and I feel so bad that I might be responsible for part of your frustration.   Sad  I promise not to frog this sample until you have it.  It's too bad there's not a nice clear photo of the scarf.  Sometimes if I'm off that can tell me where.  You always have the option of creating your own row, so long as it has 32 stitches so your next pattern has the correct base.  If you have eight spaces - so be it!  The crochet police won't come to your house, and it's perfectly OK to alter the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
FibroSub
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012 09:42:12 PM »

Oh lord. XD now I just have to laugh. :sigh: its ok. I got myself a venti choclate chai and a double chocolate cookie and started another project to distract myself for a bit. No worries Smiley promise :pinky swear: now that there's pictures I know how to end the row. I was a little confused by the math formula (not my strong point to begin with without fibro) and I was all, ends with 4 sts? But you do such pretty photo tuts :3 ima stalks you. Every so often so its not creepy XP

But now I have a dillemma, which project to work on, my cowl or his scarf? Oh poo XD oh, his will be an at home project since the skein is so damn big Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bacon Hot Sauce Review
How to Bake a Texas Cake
Chicken and Waffles Recipes
Healthy Sloppy Joes Recipes
Traditional BBQ Recipes with a Twist
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...