A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tallukkaat - the Finnish traditional home-made shoes  (Read 3637 times)
Tags for this thread: shoes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chirel
« on: February 05, 2012 09:13:35 AM »

I got a chance to be on a workshop on how to make these traditional Finnish homemade shoes (n. tallukas pl. tallukkaat). I've been wanting to learn how to make them for more than ten years and I'm so happy now Smiley
Here http://www.kotiposti.net/narvasoft/museo/vkm/museo703.htm you can see the traditional versions (pictures 3,4 and 6), but of course I had to do something completely different. The others ended up calling my shoes Robin Hood Boots, I can kind of understand why...

The traditional shoes have been made on a relatively small area in central Finland from circa 19th century. The traditional materials were anything that could be recycled and would be warm, so old woollen socks, sweaters, felt, flannel was used for different parts of these shoes. They even used parts of old shoes to make new ones. These were especially popular during the world wars, because of lack of material of any kind.

For my shoes I used mostly new materials, mainly because I happened to have suitable new materials instead of recycled materials. Theres three layers in the shoe. The outer and inner fabrics are wool fabric and the middle layer is knitted wool. The soles also have several layers. The inner sole is made of three layers of fabric then theres a thick wool sole and a rubber sole. Inside the shoe theres also a removable liner that I made using a regular cardboar liner on witch I stitched some felt I had lying around.

I machine stitched the fabrics together, I didn't want to follow any of the traditional designs so I just winged the design and then copied it to the other shoe. Almost everything else is hand stitched. Traditionally there's holes for laces, but I don't like using those metal things (because I'm not good at it), so I had to do something else, hence the green cords.

I have walked with my shoes today. It's about -20 Celsius degrees and my feet were completely warm, but it's funny how I can feel the ground through the soles. These shoes might be a bit too large for me, but I hope a thick pair of woollen socks will fix that problem. Other than that they are very comfortable and definitely warm.

I'm happy to answer any questions, but I won't be writing a tutorial and unfortunately I only have pictures of the finished shoes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012 09:19:06 AM by chirel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012 09:39:46 AM »

I LOVE those boots!!!  You did a most excellent job  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
minikin pin
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012 09:52:41 AM »

wow, these are amazing! how did you attach the sole to the rest?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing and embroidering sahm of two girls from belgium

blog: http://minikin-pin.blogspot.com/
chirel
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012 10:05:07 AM »

Thank you for the compliments Smiley

About the soles: I had the shoe on a wooden shoe form. The inner sole was attached to the shoe form with small nails. Then the edges of the shoe fabric were glued to the sole. Then the sides of the shoe fabric were stitched together so that the thread passed over the sole. (Sorry, this bit is difficult to explain.) Then the felt sole was glued to the shoe and hand stitched around the edge with thick waxed thread using a curved needle. Last the rubber sole was glued to the shoe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012 11:31:04 AM »

Unreal, great shoes and thanks for the pictures of the older ones too.

I have an older pair of short boots that I want to recover but I really, really want to get into making shoes. It just looks so fascinating and then maybe I could have shoes that fit me.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012 06:23:28 PM »

They look great! And I am SO jealous! I want to learn how to make my own shoes. I like the idea of being able to do everything for myself even if I don't actually need to. Shoes are a toughy, they have to fit and be comfortable and durable. I don't even know where to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
minikin pin
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012 12:36:29 AM »

About the soles: I had the shoe on a wooden shoe form. The inner sole was attached to the shoe form with small nails. Then the edges of the shoe fabric were glued to the sole. Then the sides of the shoe fabric were stitched together so that the thread passed over the sole. (Sorry, this bit is difficult to explain.) Then the felt sole was glued to the shoe and hand stitched around the edge with thick waxed thread using a curved needle. Last the rubber sole was glued to the shoe.

thanks for the explanation! it sounds a bit complicated and difficult to do...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing and embroidering sahm of two girls from belgium

blog: http://minikin-pin.blogspot.com/
chirel
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012 01:40:15 AM »

Thank you all for the nice compliments Smiley

thanks for the explanation! it sounds a bit complicated and difficult to do...

It isn't really, it's just difficult to explain. The only thing is that you need strong fingers, as it can be tough to push the needle through all the layers and still have even stitches.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012 01:43:09 AM by chirel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chirel
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012 01:42:18 AM »

I want to learn how to make my own shoes. I like the idea of being able to do everything for myself even if I don't actually need to.

I'm the same. Now I think I'm there Smiley at least in theory. Socks are still difficult for me, though, because I don't really like knitting with several needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012 07:54:15 AM »

Great shoes, and interesting background story. And I love you made 'Robin Hood shoes'  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF NEWS: Dries Van Noten Spring/Summer 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
VF NEWS: Kristian Aadnevik Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
Carrie Underwood Reveals Her Simple Beauty Secret
The Best Tips for Rocking Red Lips
9 Beauty Hacks You Have to Try
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...