A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Round 34 - Ostara Traditions - Sign up 02/04-02/12 - Send out 03/12/2012  (Read 16130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Witchhippie
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012 07:57:22 PM »

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Pagan book for dummies or at least a book that is written in easy lingo. I am new to the Pagan tradition and everything I find online is so over whelming. I need to start from the basic like a kid. LOL  Tongue

There is of course "Wicca and Witchcraft for Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism". I haven't read either, so I can't recommend them, but isn't it comforting to know they really exist? Cheesy

Wulf

Thanks, I'll look them up on Ebay tonight.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/JW32
http://pinterest.com/witchhippie/

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened. - Mary Kay Ash
whileitsraining
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012 08:08:29 PM »

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Pagan book for dummies or at least a book that is written in easy lingo. I am new to the Pagan tradition and everything I find online is so over whelming. I need to start from the basic like a kid. LOL  Tongue

There is of course "Wicca and Witchcraft for Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paganism". I haven't read either, so I can't recommend them, but isn't it comforting to know they really exist? Cheesy

Wulf

Thanks, I'll look them up on Ebay tonight.  Grin

I love Scott Cunningham, he has a book for everything

Also Awesome partnering Wulf! If I can find the mats I know I have around here, then I have the perfect plan for Radmom
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ani

Clear a space to make a mess!
http://www.wists.com/whileitsraining
holistic knitter
Current Swaps:

Peace comes from within

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012 02:34:25 AM »

looking forward to crafting for you Wulf  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012 07:04:34 AM »

Great partnering indeed! Can't wait to get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012 04:19:43 PM »

Glad to hear people are happy with their partners. It mostly just sorted itself out -- twelve people is such a good number of participants! Less would be hard to match partners, and more is more work!

I agree about Scott Cunningham, and I also like Pure Magic by Judika Illes. Really the problem is that now there are so many entry-level Paganism books that it's hard to pick any one of them.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012 06:49:01 PM »

Indeed. And some are written by journalist -people that doesn't really know paganism or Wicca other then what they read on it. 
x2 for Scott Cunningham. His books are very user friendly Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
monnie31
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012 07:15:01 PM »

I have all of Cunningham's books
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012 07:42:34 PM »

I think he is one of the more loved persons of Wicca and paganism in general. I've several of books too, and one thing when I first started out he made anyone that was raised Christian as many are, understand and transition really easy and comfortably takes all the eebie geebies that many of us were told we're fact and aren't. If you get what I mean with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012 06:32:26 AM »

I'm new to this path and I've been reading/collecting every WWP book that I can find.  I'm reading "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margot Adler.  I can normally read a book in 2-3 days but some chapters in this book are bewildering to a newbie, but then some are very informative. I've also read "Pagan Ways" by Gwydion O'Hara- I loved it.  It was like a summary and made me want to find out more.  I feel like I'm home when I read/discover/learn something new on this path- It's an amazing feeling! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012 04:46:58 PM »

There was a time when Drawing Down the Moon and Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner were pretty much it for entry-level books. And while Scott Cunningham was very user-friendly, as Maman says, the Margot Adler requires more work to get practical instruction from. I haven't read D.D.T.M. for 20 years, and I wonder if it's dated now. Probably time I read it again to find out.

Among the "classics" I also like anything by Doreen Valiente and Janet and Stuart Ferrar.  Old School Wicca in both cases (Valiente is the one who actually wrote many of the "traditional" Wiccan texts, including The Charge of the Goddess) but they're good teachers and good writers (which is a fairly rare combination.) For "Green Witchcraft", I like Moura's books.

Wulf
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012 04:47:38 PM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Long Shadow by David Reynolds
Bloomberg Hits Back At NYT Claims Of Censoring Stories For Chinese Leaders
Badluck Way, the Story of a Man, a Wolf, and Their Ultimate Collision
Susan Rebecca White: What Are You Reading?
Authors Celebrate Local Independent Bookstores
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...