A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Round 34 - Ostara Traditions - Sign up 02/04-02/12 - Send out 03/12/2012  (Read 16478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012 03:09:34 PM »

Hmmm... the thread has gone very quiet all of a sudden! I presume every one is too busy crafting, as I am. I'm doing something I haven't done for a while and I'm very rusty at it. More practice is required before I risk making an actual swap item!

On a slightly different topic, hot cross buns are one of those wonderfully Pagan traditions attached to Easter, but the bakery where we've always bought ours has closed, so I'm going to have to bake my own for Ostara this year. Anyone have a recipe they can recommend?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Witchhippie
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012 07:45:17 PM »

There is really something called hot cross buns? I always thought that was just a children's song. LOL I'll be keeping an eye out for some.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/JW32
http://pinterest.com/witchhippie/

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened. - Mary Kay Ash
Rosie1981

Wanderlust.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012 06:31:54 AM »

Hot cross buns are sooo good.  My mom-mom makes them every year.  I'll have to ask for her recpie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ladyblades
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012 08:19:56 AM »

Hello everyone! I just realized that it has been over a year since I was able to swap with the group. I have missed it and all of you! I am enjoying watching the commentary and am looking forward to the gallery. Thank you for letting me "stalk" you.... teehee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not swapping for the moment, life is too crazy. See you all soon!
whileitsraining
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012 11:10:50 AM »

Witchhippie - I would love to get that recipe if you can persuade her to share Smiley

I have been fiddling around with some different ideas for Radmom and picked up a few things at Joanns this weekend when they did their 20% for Military  Grin  The checkout lady laughed because it looked like I had a billion different projects going on at once (which I do of course).  I had to explain that I do crafts myself, swap with others, and have little girls at home who love to do crafts as well.  It made me look slightly less crazy I think. 

Non crafty note ~ my baby girl turns 1 this week and we found out that our surprise baby that is due in June is also a girl! Holy crap, 4 girls!!!! Poor daddy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ani

Clear a space to make a mess!
http://www.wists.com/whileitsraining
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012 05:50:21 PM »

I think it would be better to be a girl with three older sisters than a boy! But perhaps you ought to start now dropping hints about how marriage isn't really necessary these days and how much fun it is to elope than have a big formal wedding!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012 07:19:08 PM »

I agree Wulf! I told my oldest daughter, "when you get married, 3-4k go to the Bahamas, wedding, flight there and back, not to mention hotel stay food, and all the fun you can handle. No mess, no stress. Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sabertooth Pixie
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2012 01:15:53 AM »

Checking in! Sorry I've been so MIA! Midterms (ugh). Have a few ideas, haven't started crafting yet.

whileitsraining - Congratulations! Wow, 4 girls! I babysit a family of 4 kids in my spare time instead of working an on-campus job and I absolutely love the big family feeling! I hope to have at least 3, probably 4 kids when it's my turn. (But I'm hoping that's a ways out lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monnie31
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012 03:40:50 AM »

Hot Cross Buns
Yield: 12 buns
Ingredients:

1 large egg, beaten
    7 fl oz/225ml warm water
    oz/ 15g fresh yeast
    1 tsp sugar
    2oz/55g strong white bread flour
    FOR THE DOUGH
    1lb/ 450g strong, white, bread flour
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp ground mixed spice
    3oz/ 85g butter, cubed
    3oz/ 85g sugar
    Grated zest of 1 lemon
    6oz/ 175g mixed dried fruit
    2 tbsp all purpose/plain flour
    Oil, for greasing
    1 tbsp warmed apricot jam

Preparation:

Make the yeast starter for the dough by mixing the beaten egg with the warm water. Crumble the yeast and add to the water and egg. Add the sugar and flour, cover and keep in a warm (but not hot) place for 30 minutes until the mixture is frothy.
    Make the Dough Sieve the flour, salt and spice into a large baking bowl, add the butter and using your fingertips, rub it into the flour until it resembles coarse sand. Make a well in the center and fill with the sugar and lemon zest and the yeast starter mix.
    Mix quickly using a wooden spoon until a dough is formed, don't worry if it is lumpy. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a floured worktop until you have a smooth, elastic dough (about 10 minutes)
    Gently flatten the dough, sprinkle the mixed dried fruit over the surface then reform the dough into a ball and knead until the fruit is evenly incorporated into the dough. Place the dough into a warm, greased bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
    Place the dough on the worktop and knead again for a few minutes. Shape it back into a ball again, put back into the bowl, cover with a cloth and leave to rise for another 30 minutes.
    Place the dough back on the board and divide into 12 even pieces. Roll them into buns and leave to rest for a few minutes on the work surface covered with a cloth.
    Place the buns on a lightly greased baking sheet. Slightly flatten each bun and then cut almost through dough to form a cross.
    Grease a large plastic bag and place the tray with the buns in it tying the end together. Leave to rise for 40 minutes.
    Meanwhile, heat the oven to 240C/475F/Gas 8. Make a paste for the crosses on the buns with the plain flour and 2 tbsp cold water. Mix until it is soft enough to pipe through a nozzle.
    Remove the polythene bag and pipe a cross on each bun. Bake the buns for 8 -12 minutes or until risen and golden. Brush the buns with the jam as soon as they are ready. Cool on a wire rack

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarsandwitch
I am not bad... I prefer Mischievously Creative.

here I are!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012 05:50:23 AM »

that sounds yummy. I will have to try it this year. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are no longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing! ~Monty Python
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Have Perfect Hair This Season
How to Take Care of Hair Extentions
How to Make Easy Bun Updo
How to Make a Natural Scalp Remedy
How the Weather Affects Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...