A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the Saga of Making my Dress (novel length post & img OBESE)  (Read 14818 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_dress , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012 08:34:39 AM »

Wow your dress is amazing It is stunning I cant believe you made your wedding dress that is just fantastic. Hope your big day is as gorgous as the dress you made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
minikin pin
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012 08:38:26 AM »

what an adventure! but definitely an excellent result!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing and embroidering sahm of two girls from belgium

blog: http://minikin-pin.blogspot.com/
Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012 10:51:00 AM »

How funny! I thought I'd be the only person saying your sheet version is awesome and you need to find some way to wear it lol. I have a cool Muslim mock-up, except I used diff. colors of Muslin, and it just looks funny. Else I'd wear it (esp. since the real outfit is for somebody else).

Re: stained/damaged fabric... I forget to look too. Though if you notice it at the time they will cut the bad part & start over or offer it to you at a discount (though you only get discount on the bad spot). Also, always buy more than you think you need for exactly the reason you discovered: different dyelots don't always match and if you only buy what you think you need.... you'll run short and not be able to find a match. I've run into it quilting (not only was the fabric gone, there was NOTHING in a shade close enough to substitute. Took 6 months to find something that looked good to contrast with it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012 10:55:40 AM »

Oh! And congratulations on your dress and your wedding Smiley

Also... for anybody looking to save costs on weddings... I went to a wedding where the bride's photographer was free (or mostly free). She found a photographer that was building her portfolio for her own wedding photography studio, so she took the photo's in exchange of using them in her portfolio. I think a person would normally have to pay cost of materials at least, though in this case I think the person was her friend so that part was her gift to the couple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
santacruzsugar
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012 12:56:35 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments! I got the zipper put in yesterday with limited frustration (as the TV blared downstairs for the damn football game...

I never once thought to check the fabric when it was being cut, I just assumed if it came off the bolt is was clean! I know now, though! I've never bought fabric online, but I'd be wary of doing that, too.

I didn't put a zipper in the sheet dress, but now with all your feedback, I might have to (completely un-matching of course) and do something with it!

I went to a wedding where the bride's photographer was free (or mostly free). She found a photographer that was building her portfolio for her own wedding photography studio, so she took the photo's in exchange of using them in her portfolio.

I've heard other success stories of doing that also. We found our officiant by word of mouth and she's trying to build her business. She's writing our ceremony, doing the rehearsal, and the ceremony for only $100! The "average" non church related officiate around here STARTS at $300!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandamouse123
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012 02:25:40 PM »

Your final dress is so pretty!  I would have given up halfway through your trials.  I'm so glad you could persevere through sewing something that big and time consuming. 

Everyone's suggesting that you to finish off you muslin-- I say hem it to something manageable and wear it to your wedding rehearsal!

Congratulations and good luck on your big day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<insert witty saying here>

Flickr
Greta_j
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012 02:48:32 PM »

You're amazing -- the gathering at your bodice (the close up photos) look amazing. So perfect and detailed you really did an such a good job.
I burst out laughing at your dress made out of 3 different sheets - such a good cheap idea.
I hope you had a large glass of Champagne to celebrate the completion of the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JellyBabyK9
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012 05:49:03 PM »

Wow! All I can say is wow! Despite all that wretched stress from Joanne's your dress came out to be absolutely gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love my horse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012 08:13:32 PM »

I loved reading your post, congrats on getting married and completing beautiful dress!
I have also emailed Joanns with complaints and have gotten no response (they sent me the wrong color fabric which cost me both a customers time and the money to ship the darn stuff back to them) :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acraftyjean
Wasabi Snobby~ It's green and it's hot!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012 11:04:14 AM »

Oh wow! that is so gorgeous and probably makes you happier than one you could have bought.  Gorgeous job, and it looks amazing on you.  LOVE it, it rocks, it rolls, it is awe inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recycled repurposed denim and such for handmade accessories!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kathy Ireland Talks About Real Solutions for Busy Moms Devotional
Riku Campo Talks About Best in Beauty
Zoe FitzGerald Carter Talks About Imperfect Endings
Hunts the Cool Book Trailer
Meet Author Richard Madeley
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...