A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the Saga of Making my Dress (novel length post & img OBESE)  (Read 13483 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding_dress , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012 03:27:35 PM »

*clap, clap, clap* That's me giving you much deserved applause and a standing O,  for all the work you've put into your dress (and all the other stuff that went along with it   Grin  It's beautiful!  It's obvious you couldn't have got the work done without your kitty's help either  Cheesy Cheesy

P.S. Your sense of humour is apparent in your story and I'm thinking that helped you through it quite a bit  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012 03:28:28 PM by Midnight Sun » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012 05:44:55 PM »

What a wonderful job! Congratulations! And thanks for the story. It was fun to read.Smiley Plus, I also agree that your bedsheet dress should be worn somewhere.Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
zaluly
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012 05:24:03 AM »

I love reading  about weddings here, and your dress is incredible! What a great story (make sure you save this whole post for your album), thanks for sharing..ps, I also gotta add that the "sheet dress" is gorgeous..maybe you could wear it at your shower or after party?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sen
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012 05:44:31 AM »

OMG so amazing to see the entire process! Absolutely beautiful dress!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little-cupcake
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012 05:47:48 AM »

Wow, that's amazing! I bought a vintage weddingdress I'm going to alter. I hope mine is going to turn out just as good as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pleas visit my website at www.designwolk.com!
meowari
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012 10:46:47 AM »

Your dress turned out gorgeous, despite the trouble you had with it! Absolutely gorgeous!
And I agree with everyone about keeping & wearing the sheet dress- you should cut the skirt down and reshape it into a cocktail dress and dye it to wear out- maybe even at the reception!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysmeine
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012 06:46:11 PM »

I worked at JoAnn's for awhile. As well as spots you have to watch for those pesky joins as well. Typically those are easy to spot, but if you need 7 yards and they find a seam and they want to give you 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 yards you have to be careful. You need to know how long your pattern pieces are. It used to drive me nuts to find waste smack in the middle of fabric I was cutting.

secondly, I recommend going when they are not busy. I remember feeling like I was getting whiplash, cutting fabric and watching the checkout. My head snapping back and forth, whipping through measuring fabric and running back and forth. You don't notice everything when you are flipping those bolts faster than you can focus.

Third, always double check your fabric before you cut into it. Once cut, store policy will not accept return. I remember someone bringing me a pair of shorts and telling me that they did not get 1 1/2 yards fabric because they didn't have enough for a second pair. They always have enough for a second pair. They wanted me to measure the shorts as proof. I don't know how they laid out their pattern or how much was left.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlitex7
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012 10:28:15 PM »

Beautiful dress.. I want to tease that the things we have to fight for are usually the things we need the most.  that and marriage is a lot like sewing your dress, sometimes it is a hassle;  sometimes it just beautiful geee I didn't mean to get to deep LOL
But great job on your dress....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marlie2
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012 06:20:01 AM »

Your dress turned out absolutely gorgeous despite all of the stress it took to get you there.
I love that you're planning a wedding on a budget that is a fraction of the size of what is considered average these days. I feel like yours is the kind of wedding that will turn out so much more personal and creative than most weddings. I hope you'll post plenty of pictures of that incredible dress from the big day!!

Oh and the silhouette turned out so great I wouldn't mind wearing the bedsheet version (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sara87
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012 08:22:39 AM »

Oh my gosh, this is incredible! Such a beautiful dress, such a flattering cut (I have the same no boob problem) and I'm just stunned that you kept going with SO many problems facing you.

If that was me, I'd have given up once I'd seen dirty spots on the fabric (thanks for the tip - I'm going to be extra vigilant about checking fabric from now on)

Finally, the blue stripy mock up that you made would be gorgeous just as a top - going to try and make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize the Workspace in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With the Preferences in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Optimize the Settings in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Composite the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use Refine Edge Command in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...