A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would you buy something like these?  (Read 974 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

athena394
« on: February 02, 2012 10:55:38 AM »

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've been around these parts but lots has happened like we have moved to India!
Well, even though we live in a different country, I still loooooove crafts and there happens to be TONS here.
I just love walking around the markets and checking out all the amazing hand work that people have done.
To that end, I was thinking about selling it to people back home and that maybe crafters would be a good audience. Some possible products are shown below

While most things aren't immediately wearable in the western world like sarees and large shawls I thought maybe crafters could use some as raw materials.
Could you please let me know if you would be interested in purchasing something like these and how much you would pay? For instance, the bottom left picture, I would probably have to charge $30-40 for a 1m x 2m piece of fabric but it's nice quality wool and its COVERED in HAND embroidery. The silk sarees are about 5m long (and quite wide) but I would have to charge about $100. It's a lot of material though and they come in beautiful fabrics and patterns not necessarily available in the States. Embroidered pillowcases for whatever reason go for a lot less, like $10.

So I have posted here only textiles but there are LOTS of other handicraft products (wooden carvings, bamboo paintings, leather paintings, wooden housewares, brass figurines, marble inlay, etc etc) but they aren't raw materials, just finished products. I was thinking of selling those too but due to the nature of this forum wanted to concentrate on the fabric. BUT, if you have thoughts on those things or would like to see them, I'm all ears (or...eyes Smiley )

So any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwistMySister
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 12:49:31 AM »

raw silk in all different colours may sell well depending on price! those items are all so lovely. so much work must be put into them  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/On-The-Front-Line/175858075802771

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnTheFrontLine
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012 06:15:27 AM »

I'm sure there must be some interested buyers out there, but Indian fabrics have an ethnic look and feel to them, so they're just not going to be for everyone. Amy Butler and Michael Miller type design is what crafters are drooling over still. That hip, "neu retro" style seems to be hanging on forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012 07:55:14 AM »

Your best bet would be to vend at a bellydance workshop or show.  They go nuts over this stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Voile in Sewing Projects
Preparing and Marking Fabric for Sewing Projects
Pinning Fabric for Sewing Projects
How to Transfer Sewing Pattern Markings
How to Sew Machine Buttonholes
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...